After the SIT left, I headed to the sewing room for a bit. On the agenda was to get started on setting the Vintage Dress blocks together. There are three different dress blocks in the set. I'd forgotten that one of the dress blocks is wider than the other two. That became obvious when I started pulling the blocks out of the project box.
The only way to get all of the blocks the same size is to add coping strips. So my original plan for how to assemble the sashing wasn't going to work. But after a few minutes in EQ, a new assembly plan was worked out and I started adding coping strips to the blocks.
by Charise Randell
I didn't get very far, but two blocks are completely done and cut to a consistent 9.5" x 12.5". I made a start on the next two. There will be some other changes to the sashing pieces to accommodate the larger size of the blocks, but that will actually simplify both the pieces and the overall assembly process. But since the "framing" of the blocks is added with the sashing, the final placement of all the blocks will need to be worked out before the sashing strips can be made. It's doubtful that this UFO will get finished this month, but at least all the assembly problems are worked out. The plan for this year was to move each UFO forward. Finishes would be great, but I'm grateful for any progress on these projects.
Linking up with:
Main Crush Monday
Monday Design Wall