Monday, May 28, 2012

Design Wall Monday - May 28th

As much as I enjoy holidays off, it always seems strange to be home on a day I would normally go to work.  I'm planning to sew all day today and have great plans to make lots of progress on the May UFO and the Scrappy Coffee Cup quilt as I'm behind on both.  I need to do some sewing room clean up as well. 

I did sneak in some significant sewing this week.  The Fat Quarter Stars Quilt top is finished. 

Fat Quarter Stars by Konda
of Moose on the Porch Quilts
I had to play with the setting a bit as I didn't have enough background fabric to make the setting that Konda showed.  I like how it came out.  This will not be my last red, white and black quilt.  I really like the color combination. 

I was able to watch most of the NASCAR race last night.  While I was doing that, I worked on the C for the Coffee Cup Quilt. 

Coffee cup block patterns from Karen F. Srebro and Janet McCarroll
published in Block Magic and Block Magic Too by
Nancy Johnson-Srebro

The O is almost finished.  By the end of today, I hope to have finished it, plus the two F's and 2 yellow cups. 

I've been working on the Sweet Treat quilt as a leaders and enders project.  Another 6 blocks were finished this week, so I'm a third of the way through with the blocks. 

Sweet Treats Designed by Judy Laquidara
(pattern available here)

The blocks look a bit busy right up against one another, but the white tone on tone with which they are going be set with should calm them down a bit. 

I'm off to see what mischief awaits in my sewing room.  Check out all the other design walls over at Patchwork Times

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Great projects, Kate. I love a red, black, and white color combo too. The stars are nicely done as well. I like the two stars in the second row middle. Haven't seen that before, but I like it.

AnnieO said...

The stars quilt looks terrific--love how you used that print in the borders that you fussy cut from for the stars. Lovely day to play in the sewing room--you've got lots going on to enjoy!

Shay said...

The stars quilt top looks utterly gorgeous. You can beat red white and black for a striking colour combo. Those borders are perfect!

Love the sweet treats blocks and the coffee cups look fabulous.

You’ve certainly got a lot of variety in those projects!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay you!!! I am glad you were able to take advantage of your time!! Now if we could only have one extra weekend day each week..... LOVE your sweet treats!!

Lynne said...

You have quite a bit going on, don't you? I, too, like the red, black and white combination.

I started the first block for my sampler quilt in class yesterday (Monday).

Kate said...

Wow, the FQS looks great! And progress on several other projects, too - awesome!

Chris said...

I love your quilt along quilt. I still have five blocks to catch up on. I have been too into my bandana quilts lately :D