Monday, February 14, 2011

Design Wall Monday - February 14th

Happy Valentines Day!  Do you have big plans with your sweetie for tonight?  We have a date to help kiddo with her Science Fair project tonight after work, so no big fancy dinner for us.  We'll probably send kiddo off with a TV tray to the living room and we'll have dinner in the dining room by candle light.  It works for us.  

At the moment there is not much on the design wall.  No sewing this weekend due to kiddo's swim meet.  But since we had a snow day last week, I did finish adding the borders to the Seeing Star BOM. 


Not the best picture, the slant in my design wall makes the quilt look off, it is square.  I did buy a few blue fat quarters to make this quilt because my scrap palette did not have much of that color, but everything else came from left overs from other projects.  The borders are different from the original pattern (which you can find at Country Junk'tion). I really, really wanted a dark blue border, but I just didn't have enough of that fabric. In order to get the size I wanted with the scraps I had, the border had to be modified.  The skinny white border was added because the light and medium blue  border fabrics didn't look great butted up against each other.  The white adds some neutral space and makes a nice frame for the pieced border.  It really helps those two blues work together in the quilt. 

I like the final quilt.  Now I need to piece the back (which will also come from the stash) and get it ready to be sent off for quilting.   I have a quilt from last year that needs binding to tackle next,  then I can concentrate on the PhDs and UFOs that are on my goals for 2011.  

Check out other projects in progress over at Judy's Patchwork Times.  

16 comments:

Tamera said...

Way to "make it work!" I like to see that other quilters are doing that as well.

I think it pushes you to be more creative and think outside the box.

I like the white border, too.

VERY beautiful quilt!

Jo said...

It's a beauty. Love BLUE and stars...so of course I love the quilt.

Julie Kaye from KS said...

The border you put on is perfect for this quilt.

Just Another Quilter said...

Found your blog today. Love the yellow and blue stars. Also like the enjoy the "Foto Finish" pics. Keep up the great work.

Judy D in WA said...

I love your quilt. The border looks like it was meant to be. I like that little border of white. Love blue and yellow!

Vicki H. said...

Very pretty and it turned out wonderfully!

We are having no special Valentines plans but next weekend we are going out. It is so hard to have a special "date" on a weeknight!

Diane said...

the quilt looks great!

Karen S said...

Oooh -- I love your stars!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think it looks wonderful! Hope you enjoy your science fair romance tonite LOL - Totally understand!!

Gail said...

Love the blue/yellow colors, and the blue you used for the border is perfect, not at all sure that a darker shade would be better.

Shay said...

Kate it looks fabulous. The blues and yellows work so well together and the white border sets it all off so beautifully!

Congratulations on the finished top. What are your plans for this one?

AnnieO said...

The borders are just the perfect touch, Kate! It is a very charming and classy composition. Congrats on getting to the finished top stage. Feels good, right?

happydaysquilting said...

Great job! the borders look great.

Mary Ann said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing!

Barb in Mi said...

Beautiful! I love yellow and blue quilts- and really like your border!

SpinningStar said...

Great quilt! Love the colors, but I'm from Michigan so maize and blue are for me!!

Liz