Wednesday, August 5, 2026

July PHD Report

July felt like a month of medical appointments.  Physical therapy twice a week and then several appointments to address the tooth pain that was keeping me up.  Even with all the disruptions, July was a pretty good month on the PHD front.  There is another finish to link up with Ms. P Designs for the July PHD report.  




This is my third finish for the year.  I had hoped to have more finishes by this point in the year.  Learning to quilt has been a slow process, but I'm getting better and a bit faster there.  Finding a long arm quilter took a bit of time, but now that I have that option, hopefully I'll make more time to get quilts ready to go out for quilting.  I would really like to make a dent in the projects hanging in the to be quilted closet.  

 



My July finish was the 2025 Guild BOM quilt, which as been renamed to "Ansley's Palette".  This quilt is a gift for one of My Girl's college buddies. This is my second quilt using the Inverted Star block and it was my first effort at being responsible for the guild's BOM program.  I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.  

 



All the blocks are finished for Good Fortune (Bonnie Hunter) and quilt assembly has been started. This should be a finished quilt top by the end of August. 



Wild and Goosey (Bonnie Hunter) has been progressing steadily all year.  All the blue blocks are now sashed and a few more teal blocks are finished.  The hope is all the blocks are done by the end of the year.  Hard to tell at this point if that's going to happen or not.  



Glowing Hearts (Sandra Walker) is the next project to be quilted with the walking foot on my sewing machine.  The backing, the batting and the top are now all prepped.  I've selected the threads to use, though I've not decided on the bobbin thread as yet.  I need to baste the layers together and decide how I'm going to quilt those hearts.  It would be nice to keep my a finish a month going into August. We'll see if that works out.  



There wasn't as much progress as I had hoped for the 2026 Guild BOM.  The block for August was finished and shown at the July meeting.  I did finish the November blocks, which are just 4 patches for one of the pieced borders. It was fast and easy to cut the strips for those. The plan was to finish the September and October blocks too.  But I didn't get that far. I did finally work out what pieces I need to cut from each fabric for those blocks. Hopefully I can get that done soon. The September block has to be ready before the next guild meeting, so it has to get done sooner rather than later.  



The final two borders were added to Lupine and Laughter (Bonnie Hunter) early in July. It's now a finished quilt top hanging in the to be quilted closet.  It's always nice to finish piecing last year's mystery before the next one comes out. 

July was a productive month. In addition to the finish, another project is prepped for quilting, another became a finished quilt top and a fourth project had all the blocks finished.  




My project progress sheet is starting to show more color, especially in the quilt blocks to finish category. I'm hoping to see more color in the quilts to finish block, probably not by the end of next month, but certainly in September.    

No comments: