Monday, April 29, 2019

Checking One Off the To Do List

It's been a whirlwind month.  April started with a week long business trip, followed by two weeks of some type of respiratory crud, a trip to see the Scientist in Training for Easter and then a weekend away for a family wedding.  Not a lot of time for stitching, so I wasn't sure that my "to do" item for the April One Monthly Goal was going to get checked off the list. 



The plan was to finish the binding on the Christmas Mystery quilt. With all the travel and not feeling well, it wasn't as easy to get all those hand stitches in, but that did happen last week.  I finally got decent pictures last night, just in time to post today. 


Ho Ho Ho (Christmas Mystery)
designed by Carrie Randall (Quilter's Hideaway)

This was a fun mystery quilt along. I also learned how to make a Dresden plate block, that was a new skill.  My favorite block is probably the nutcracker.  I embroidered on facial features because My Guy thought it was too creepy left blank. My Guy was right, the nutcracker looks more finished and polished with the mustache.  The poinsettia border fabric has been in the stash forever.   The blocks were made from scraps and left overs from other projects. I can't claim it emptied any of the stash bins, but no new fabric was added.  

I'm pretty pleased with the label.



Yes, I know it says March 2019. It was supposed to have been finished last month, but it didn't happen.  In 10 years it won't matter if it got finished in March or April, it was at least finished in the right year.  I'm planning to keep this one for myself to use at Christmas time.  



The talented Trudy custom quilted this one with a swirly beard and swirling snowflakes in the block backgrounds. She kept the whimsy I was aiming for with the quilting.  

This is quilt finish number 2 for 2019.  So I'm 1/6th of the way to finishing off my UFO PHD for 2019.



Just ten more UFOs and three new starts to finish off before December 31st.  I may be just getting a bachelors degree this year.

Linking up with The One Monthly Goal April Finishes, Monday Making and Design Wall Monday.  Ho Ho Ho is also on my second quarter list for the 2nd Quarter 2019 Finish Along, so I'll be linking up there come July.  

19 comments:

Patty said...

Such a fun quilt - love the snowman! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations on finishing your Christmas quilt in spite of the crazy month you've had! I love the Santa block - the quilting in his beard is perfect!

Bonnie said...

Whoopee! A finish and a check off of a list of quilts to be done. (Simple things like that make me happy when I succeed -- I'm sure you feel the same.) And, this Christmas quilt is so stinking cute. You've really made it yourself. So, how did you make your label? Computer and printed on colored fabric? Curious minds want to know. Have a great week.

Ramona said...

Such a fun Christmas quilt! Congrats! on your finish.

Alison V. said...

This turned out so great! The custom quilting is just perfect for this quilt to highlight different parts of the blocks. :D

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Happy Dance for a beautiful finish!!!

Barbara said...

That turned out great. I love everything about it. Feels good to cross them off the list, doesn’t it?

chrisknits said...

Great finish!!! Unless I get really speedy, my OMG will not be done in April. But that's OK, I am hoping to get back on the wagon next month.

Katie Z. said...

Good for you! I’m impressed that you managed any sewing at all, so well done.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

So Cute! Merry Christmas...grin.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Considering the month you had, it is quite amazing that you finished this one. It looks really wonderful!! I agree, the nutcracker does look a lot better with the facial features.

-Soma

DawnyK said...

Congratulations! I love this finish. You did so great! Well done on your OMG-April. Your list so so great. I may copy the format for an annual tracker. Right now I have a multi-year spreadsheet.

Nann said...

What a charming holiday quilt -- and finished in plenty of time for Christmas 2019. Congratulations on your OMG finish. (P.S. When does Scientist in Training graduate? Next year?)

Louise said...

I've enjoyed so much watching this fun piece come together! Congrats on a final finish. You're going to love pulling it out this winter :)

Emily said...

This is fabulous! I've enjoyed watching it come together. The swirly beard is so fun!!! Great detail.

AnnieO said...

What a fun finish to report--congrats on a uniquely yours Christmas quilt to enjoy for many years to come. Wonderful job you and your guy did on the design :)

Sandra Walker said...

It's SO satisfying to finish a quilt that has taken time to get to this stage of enjoying and admiring and remembering! I love your nutcracker block too, and the moustache was perfect! Love Santa's beard too!

Jennifer said...

Congrats on the finish - that is such a fun quilt!

Sarah Goer Quilts said...

What a lovely sampler. I especially love the snowman. Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2019 global FAL hosts.