Monday, October 23, 2017

Weekend Stitching: But First Coffee

The Scientist in Training was home this weekend.  We had a great time shopping and just hanging out.  She left after lunch and it was a good thing I had a sewing room to go to.  En Provence was a welcome distraction.  

Before lunch, we were all hanging out in the living room watching Food Network.  While we were all commenting on the cooking shows, I was also making the last few stitches on the binding for the Scrappy Coffee Cup quilt (aka But First Coffee).  


 Scrappy Coffee Cups (aka But First Coffee)
Started 2/27/2012, Finished 10/22/2017
Block patterns from Karen F. Srebro and Janet McCarroll
publised in Block Magic and Block Magic Too by
Nancy Johnson-Srebro

I really like how this one turned out.  The SIT and I were trying to decide on our favorite cups.   



The dark blue with the tulip and the brown cup with the yellow rose are two of my favorites.  



The SIT really likes the Christmas mug on the lower left and the tiger cup in the upper right.  The blue floral with the gold accents has always struck her as being a very elegant cup, but it would one of those you look at and not use.  

The backing is from some yardage that's been in the stash for a while. 



The floral on the back is more green than yellow, but it didn't photograph that way.  It's not a perfect match, but I wanted something light since there is so much white space on the front. I stuck with the same dark green that's in the outer border as the binding.  I suppose that's a bit boring.  At least the label is fun.  




Scrappy Coffee Cups was my first venture into the Rainbow Scrap Challenge back in 2012.  I've participated every year since.  Of the five rainbow scrap quilts started, this is only the second one finished.  I always finish the blocks but stall when it comes to setting them together.  It's nice to see this one come off the UFO list and off my fourth quarter list for the 2017 Finish Along.  But First Coffee is my seventh finish for the year.  That ties my best year for finishes ever.  It seems that finding time to sew each day coupled with setting priorities via the One Monthly Goal and 2017 Finish Along have really paid off this year.  

Linking up with:
Monday Making
Main Crush Monday
Monday Design Wall
Needle and Thread Thursday
2017 Finish Along 4th Quarter Linky Party 

27 comments:

Alison V. said...

This turned out so awesome! I love looking at all of the different blocks. I made a teacup quilt years ago and it is one of my favorites!

Preeti said...

Fabulous finish, Kate!!! So many details, so much to enjoy. You must be thrilled to bits.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I love it!! and yay for the finish!!

Bernie Kringel said...

Seven finishes is wonderful and there are still two months left in the year. This is a great quilt - love the coffee theme and the pretty fabrics used for each cup. :-)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I just love that quilt! It's the perfect RSC project. The green sashing turned out great, too. Hooray for finishing!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Congratulations on another fabulous finish. The cups each of a personality, fun to go back over each and take another peek into it's own beauty. I just love your labels - I'm not as fancy.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Congrats on your finish! I love your label. You make the most unique and creative labels!

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Just mind kind of quilt! A fabulous finish, Kate! Love it!

-Soma

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Congrats on reaching a great goal of 7 finishes in 2017 and the year is not done yet--you got at least 9 weeks to the end of the year--you just might break your record this year!! My favorite cup it the all pink flower one next to the tiger one!!!
enjoy the moments, di

Katie Z. said...

Way to go!

Julie in GA said...

Congrats on yet another finish for 2017. You have a very good chance of reaching a new personal record for finishes in a year. Your quilt turned out great!

Louise said...

What a great quilt! I would use the blue and gold cup :)

AnnieO said...

Very remarkable number of finishes--congrats!

gayle said...

I love everything about this quilt, including the name and the label!
What a fun finish!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats! on your newly completed RSC quilt. Now, let's blow that finishing record out of the water!! You've still got two months left in the year.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

That label is so great looking! Your coffee quilt is adorable, I love all the different fabrics you used. It's like an "I Spy" quilt - I could look at it for hours!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Kate,
Ooh, I love this quilt. I also love coffee. I would have a hard time picking a favorite mug . . . but if pressed, it would probably be the tiger one. You would have to send it to me for me to really pick. HAHA ~smile~ Roseanne

Quilter Kathy said...

Kate it is fantastic! you did a great job on this and it's a treasure!

Cheryl said...

Fun finish! I always love your labels and how well they go with the quilt theme.

Julie said...

What a great quilt! I love the variety of all the cups. I have never participated in the rainbow challenge, maybe sometime I will!

Barbara said...

Oh, I love it!!! The label is great. Wonderful work on this one, Kate.

Jayne said...

This one is so wonderful! Love each and every cup! I could look for hours at each one!

Christina said...

This turned out beautifully, your quilter does a fantastic job! Each cup is unique, just like so many of our cabinets. Thanks for sharing!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Oh very well done, both on a wonderful finish and on your best ever year. I have to say I love your header, it's the dress, I so love them, it's beautiful. I usually read from my iPad with Bloglovin so I don't know when you changed your header, I love it.

Jennifer said...

Hooray! Congrats on your seventh finish this year - this is a very fun quilt.

Emily said...

I've loved seeing the progress on this one and congratulations on the finish! Looks like there are lots of fabulous mugs to choose from! And that label is hilarious.

Sandra Walker said...

This is just fabulous Kate! Isn't it an equally fabulous feeling to finish a RSC quilt? And then I look in my scrap plastic boxes...and think how come the scraps aren't much less??!! Ah well, easy solution, make another RSC quilt right? I agree that having the OMG and the FAL really helps motivate a person.