Monday, July 24, 2017

Weekend Stitching: A Finished Mystery

I'm definitely not ready for Monday, mainly because I'm headed out of town on business later this afternoon.  It's only a two day trip, but covers two states in those two days.  So lots of meetings, driving and waiting in airports.  Thankfully, I'm done with business travel for the year after this trip.  

It was a nice weekend for stitching, it was too hot to do much of anything else.  I finally finished binding the Meadow Misty Mystery quilt.  


 Meadow Mist Designs Mystery
By Cheryl Brickey of the Meadow Mist Designs Blog

I love the crinkly texture the quilting adds. 



Trudy quilted big lazy flowers across the entire quilt.  I'm not going to show off the backing.  It's one of my "ugly" fabrics, but it was in the stash and was the right size.  The binding is the same light blue as the outer border.  I did have a bit of fun with the label.




The "It's a Mystery" name comes from My Guy's repeated questions about this quilt, it's not one of his favorites.  My pat answer to him about anything concerning this quilt pretty much became "it's a mystery".  So the name stuck.  Drama Teen asked if I was willing to donate this one to a charity auction her BFF mother's is in charge of.  That's likely where this one is going.  

This is finish number 5 for 2017.  It doesn't affect my UFO count because it's less than a year old.  That makes it a WIP.  But finishing WIPs before they become UFOs is a good thing.  The next mystery over at Meadow Mist Designs has started, but this month's clue was about selecting fabric.  I don't count something as "started" until I start cutting the fabric.  So last year's mystery is finished before this year's gets started.  That's always a good feeling.

It's a Mystery is the first finish from my third quarter list for the 2017 Finish Along.  So I'll be linking up there once we get to September.  Linking up this week with:



Monday Making
Main Crush Monday
Monday Design Wall
2017 Finish Along

17 comments:

Alison V. said...

Finished is good! I am sort of ambivalent about my Meadow mystery quilt as well -- I might donate mine as well, or give it as a gift.

Julie in GA said...

Your mystery quilt turned out great! Congrats on having another beautiful finish!

Quilter Kathy said...

Congratulations on a terrific finish!
The label is awesome too!

maggie fellow said...

Ahhh I didn't know the distinction of ufo and wip - now I do. I think the quilt is wonderful

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Kate,
What a lovely quilt. Those flying geese in each corner really set off the motif in the center. It looks like it was a fun mystery quilt-along. Great job finishing before the next one starts. I'll take a peak at the link you shared. ~smile~ Roseanne

Barbara said...

It turned out great. I like that quilting pattern too. You did a good job with fabric selection.

time4stitchn said...

I really like your version as well as the overall pattern from Meadow Mist. I know you have your new colors already picked out. I am still deciding. But I love your differentiation of UFO versus WIP. Congrats on the finish

Janice Holton said...

Good for you! My Meadow Mist Mystery quilt top is languishing away in a packed box right now. :( Great finish, Kate!

Rebecca Grace said...

I love your label, and it's a beautiful quilt even if it's not one of your favorites! I agree that a project isn't started until I cut fabric. That way I don't have to count all of the projects I've bought fabric for as WIPs!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I like your quilt and I don't normally care for that orangey color--but it pulls everything together really well--
and like you said-it is one more done and done!!
be safe on your trip-
enjoy the moments, di

Marti said...

It has a vintage look to it that I like. I think I've even got that dark blue floral fabric.

Cheryl said...

Beautiful finish! The quilting you chose works wonderfully with your fabrics.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Hope you had a safe trip. It's a very pretty finish! Beautiful colours! I like your definition of UFO and WIP :)

-Soma

Jennifer said...

Great finish! I like the name too. Hope the business trip went well!

Emily said...

I really like the blue secondary background on your version. Beautiful finish!

Katie Z. said...

Way to go! You've done so well this year.

Nicky said...

Fabulous finish and on behalf of the 2017 global FAL hosts, thank you for taking part in this quarter's Finish Along