Monday, October 14, 2024

Last Dance with Diatom

We celebrated my mom's and My Guy's birthdays yesterday.  Mom's birthday was this last week and My Guy's was earlier this month.  My mom is big on celebrating birthday's and realized that she'd never done anything special for My Guy on his.  So this year she wanted to be sure we celebrated both.  We had a fun time, but it's the 4th weekend in a row that we've not been home. 

Even though we've been gone a lot, I put the last stitches in the binding for Diatom the day after we got back from vacation.  It took me a few days to get the final photographs. 




Diatom was Quilting Jetgirl's 2023 quilt along. The blocks are 24" finished. It was such fun to make. I fell in love with Yvonne's all blue demo version so stuck with the same color palette.  My version has thin sashing and a final border. It's one of my favorite finishes this year. 

Trudy did her magic with the quilting, a nice flowing vine motif. 




The backing is a dark blue design from Connecting Threads and it's bound in the same dark blue used on the front. 

This quilt is a wedding gift for a couple Grad Girl met at Oklahoma State.  The new wife is a fellow chemistry graduate student and the new husband is an architect, but he's also the Dungeon Master for the Dungeons and Dragons adventurers group that Grad Girl plays with.  The DM title is important as that's where the name of the finished quilt came from. 




Dancing Lights is a spell used in D&D to create torches to provide light. Grad Girl thought it worked pretty well for this quilt. The poem on the label is Dancing Lights by Mary K. Boye. I've only used the first verse, but it seemed very fitting for a newly married couple and still worked nicely with the D&D theme. 

Completion of Dancing Lights brings my UFO list down to 19, which is where I ended last year.  I'm hoping to finish at least one more quilt this year.  We'll see how that goes.  Linking up to Design Wall Monday and Patchwork & Quilts.     

8 comments:

Nann said...

What a beautiful quilt -- and the label is perfect!!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

I love the name and the reference to the game! Lovely quilt, and a perfect wedding gift. Happy birthday to your mom and Guy ;) Thank you for sharing, and linking up.

Julie in GA said...

What a beautiful finish! I love the intense blues you used. The name/poem are a perfect addition.

Andree G. Faubert said...

Hi Kate, what a lovely quilt! Congrats on another finish.

Barbara said...

It's beautiful, Kate. I love those blues. The quilting is so pretty, and I love the label you created for it. It would be hard for me to give it up.

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy Birthday to your mom and hubby. It is wonderful that your family was able to celebrate both birthdays. Congratulations on the fabulous finish. What a beautiful gift. I am sure the new couple will cherish it.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Diatom is just beautiful, Kate! I can really see why you were drawn to making it in all the blues, too. I love the name you're giving it and the poem that the name is from is so perfect for a newly married couple. They're going to love it!

Linda said...

What a dreamy finish! I bet the couple is thrilled with the magic it represents. :) The quilting is quite beautiful.