Monday, April 27, 2020

Finally Finishes

It was a good week in the sewing room.  I've not had more stitching time during this period of social distancing as work has been just as busy as always.  But the changes I made to work on only three projects at a time and to limit the weekly to do list to just four items each week is starting to pay off.  Playing along with the 2020 PHD program and the One Monthly Goal have helped with the focus too.  In fact this month I actually met my OMG a few days early for a change. 


This month's OMG is to finish the Winter Quilt Along project.  That happened last Friday.  

Stripes from the 2019 Quiltygirl Winter Quilt Along
Started November 11, 2019
Finished April 24, 2020
I'm really happy with how it came out.  Thank you Alycia for a very fun and easy quilt along.  Both the red and blue fabrics are left overs from other quilts. The binding is the same blue as the stripes.  There's about a fat quarter left of the blue and just over a half yard of the red.  The backing is left overs from backing two other quilts.


The white print is left over from Twinkle Stars and the blue check from Vintage Dresses.  I suppose you could call this one Leftovers, but I went simple and just named it Stripes.  This quilt will be donated to the Quilts of Valor program once it's washed.  

The second milestone is that the Mosaic Mystery quilt is now a finished flimsy. 

 Mosaic Mystery Quilt
from Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs

I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I only wish the butterfly print border was just a bit wider, but there wasn't that much of the print left over. Next up is to finish the backing and then do the dreaded thread clean up of both before shipping it out for quilting.  So this one is likely a June finish.  

So a good week on the finishing front.  I'm still behind for the year and it's not likely I'll catch up.  The goal is still to finish at least eight quilts this year.  I'm a quarter of the way there and we are almost a third of the way through the year.  The next three quilts on the list just need borders and backings, so hopefully those will go more quickly. 

17 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Congratulations on two wonderful finishes! The QOV turned out great, and the fabric combination in the Mosaic Mystery is so beautiful!

Preeti said...

Yay Kate!!! Two lovely finishes. Way to go.
Love the bright purple stars - how they stand out :-)
Stay safe, my friend.

Barbara said...

Both quilts are beautiful. Great idea donating Strips to Quilts of Valor.

Jayne said...

Both are gorgeous! I think by limiting your projects to a few a week is a great idea. It's easy to become overwhelmed.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful finishes!! I love your Winter Quilt a long - you have awesome fabric taste!!!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Stripes is just great! I really love that shade of blue. Your Mosaic Mystery top is also a favorite of mine - the floral print was the perfect inspiration for the rest of the colors.

Bonnie said...

I can feel the joy all the way out here -- one total finish and one top about ready to send out to be quilted. Great job! I really like the colors of your Mosaic Mystery top. You might surprise yourself and get more finished than you think you can.

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Yea!! Wonderful finishes.

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

The Winter Quilt Along finish is lovely, and I really think your version of the Mosaic Mystery Quilt is stunning. Congratulations on the finishes this week!

AnnieO said...

Congrats on two beauties that are now tops! I just sent out another quilt to be quilted but don't dedicate a long time to clean up the back, just get the dark threads off the light areas and any long strays. I figure the batting will grab most everything else!

chrisknits said...

Both are great but I love that Mosaic Mystery!!! Just something about it speaks to me. Great job all around.

Kathy S. said...

When I saw this photo on the April OMG finish linky party I thought it was a close-up of the quilt. When I got here and saw the quilt it was a fun surprise. Congrats on your April finish. Lovely!

PaintedThread said...

That Stripes quilt is stunning. What a great quilt. I like the Mosaic mystery, too - nice color combination.

Louise said...

Stripes turned so handsome! A very lucky veteran will cherish this great quilt. Thank you for generously donating it to QOV! And I love seeing the progress on your Mosaic Mystery, too. Such gorgeous colors and fabrics :)

Emily said...

Stripes turned out beautiful! I'm kinda sorry I didn't join in on that one. Love that you were able to do it al out of stash & leftovers! Also love the borders on your Mosaic Mystery! You're making a lot of progress!

Jennifer said...

A great finish and a great top - way to go! And good way to use up the backings.

Patty said...

Great finishes! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.