Monday, November 19, 2018

Weekend Stitching: More Mystery Making

It was a quiet weekend, which I was more than ready for. Work has been a zoo and it doesn't look like it's going to slow down any time soon.  I'm off this all this week and am looking forward to the down time.  Saturday we ran some errands in Tulsa, had lunch with the Scientist in Training and her room mate.  The SIT only has two days of classes this week, we'll see her sometime Tuesday afternoon.  She's looking forward to a slight break before the madness of finals. She and I have made plans for some serious do nothing time accompanied with the occasional glass of wine over the holiday.   

The only sewing this week was on the Christmas Mystery quilt. 

Christmas Mystery, designed by Carrie Randall (Quilter's Hideaway)

Most of the squares in the stocking come from the scrap bin.  This was a very fun and easy block to make. It was easy and fun on top of using up some odds and ends from the scrap bin.  

One of the goals of the mystery is to introduce new techniques to everyone, so the second block was paper pieced.  

Christmas Mystery, designed by Carrie Randall (Quilter's Hideaway)

I've done a lot of paper piecing (Vintage Dresses) so this block was pretty easy.  I was surprised by the number of quilters at the shop who had never tried paper piecing.  The last block and the quilt setting was handed out Saturday.  I'm contemplating adding one more row and another column of smaller blocks to one side to keep the proportions.  Or I may just put it together as is.  

The other stitching relating activity has been trying to come up with a quilt that will work on our bed.  The quilt on there now is almost 9 years old and I'm ready for a change.  My Guy really likes batiks and has requested anything new use just batiks.  I've not found a pattern I like, but I've been playing around in EQ.  


This one is simple and includes a lot of brights, which is another of My Guy's requirements. Black seems a bit stark, a dark navy or dark green might be a better option for the background.  Here's the second contender. 


My Guy likes this second one better. it needs some additional work on the borders, but it's a good start.  I'd like to try controlled scrappy, using squares of similar color families to make the blocks.  Not sure I'm sold on either mock up as yet. As I'm still trying to work through UFOs, there is certainly time to decide on something else completely.  

Linking up with the normal Monday morning show and tell parties.  

Main Crush Monday
Monday Design Wall 
BOMs Away 

16 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I have a sudden craving for peppermint! Isn't it wonderful when The Guy participates in quilt design? Kinda makes you want to rush right out and get started.

Judy D in WA said...

The Christmas blocks are adorable! Cannot wait to see what you do with your quilt.
How fun that Your Guy is helping with the design decisions. I really both of them but think the 2nd one made scrappy with black would be fab.u.lous!!!
Have a wonderful holiday.

Denise :) said...

I adore the candy cane -- too cute! I like paper piecing ... in small doses! LOL! The Vintage Dresses are still on of my favorites in all of blog land. I'm glad you keep some as your header! :) Just out of curiosity, do you count your EQ time as sewing time, since it is part of the creation process? Especially when it's not frivolous (I do a lot of play in EQ that's not ever going to actually be a finished quilt), like you playing around with a design for your next quilt. Just wondering! :)

Barbara said...

The Christmas blocks are great. I have to say that I love the first quilt...I like a black background, but I love Amish quilts and they wear black aprons over bright solids. It’s a look that’s pleasing to my eyes, but I know not everyone is as fond of it. Your quilts always turn out beautifully, and so whatever you choose will turn out great.

Alison V. said...

I like both of your design options for your new bed quilt. Let me know what colors you land on and I would be happy to send you some chunks of Island Batik fabrics!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your new blocks for the Christmas mystery are so fun! I love how the stocking was made out of all squares and rectangles. Your design ideas for the new bed quilt are really pretty! I love it that your Guy wants batiks and bright colors! Happy Thanksgiving!

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Kate! Every time I see your header photo, it makes me smile. I just love those dresses. Thank little cute stocking is adorbs, and the paper pieced candy cane looks very festive. Paper piecing is on my to-do for 2019. I haven't done it for years so it's time to give it a go again. Happy Monday to you! ~smile~ Roseanne

Lynette said...

Ooo, I like that second mockup. :) Loving the Christmas blocks, too. The background gray is gorgeous for them.

piecefulwendy said...

That second mock up would really be stunning with jewel-toned batiks. You will come up with something amazing, I'm sure! I think paper piecing scares people, since the whole approach feels a bit backward. I taught myself how to do it, and once I got the hang of it, I was hooked. It's just getting past that first hurdle, maybe? Or it could just be a preference thing. Anyway, your candy cane is cute!

Marti said...

That's a cute stocking block and cane. I love an easy block when I'm stressed. I hope you get a lot of "me time" in this week with your SIT. I like your second mockup. I think it's great that your husband has input in your quilt design. Mine doesn't care much. Happy Thanksgiving!

Bonnie said...

Hum, two very cute Christmas blocks. I really like the candy cane. (Heck I like the stocking a lot too....) Enjoy the process of the new quilt. Black backgrounds are striking but you'll be looking at it every day for years. I think the jewel tones are stunning.

chrisknits said...

I like the 2nd one too!!! But both are very interesting.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

I always enjoy reading what you've been up to. It may seem mundane to you but I find it fascinating. I love your Christmas quilt. I had to google that quilt shop to find out if I could buy the pattern. Evidently it's only offered as a mystery QAL. If you ever find out they are selling the pattern, let me know.

Louise said...

Relaxing with your daughter while drinking wine sounds heavenly! I really like the stocking block, so cute :) And I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with for your own bed. Brights against darks are always so striking.

Preeti said...

There is something about a black background that makes the batiks/KF fabrics pop!!! Make both and rotate :-D

Jennifer said...

Great blocks for the Christmas quilt. I like both the bed quilt patterns - different looks, but both would be a winner!