Monday, September 24, 2018

Weekend Stitching - Stars and Webs

The weekend was slow paced and relaxed.  Having an extra day off was nice, though we spent most of the day in Tulsa, so not much stitching happened.  There was plenty of stitching time the rest of the weekend.  Work continues on the block parts for On Ringo Lake.  Those flying geese seem to take for ever to make.  My OMG for September was to finish all the block parts for ORL. I'm pretty sure I bit off more than I can do there.  We'll see where I'm at next weekend, but it's not looking good.  

A few Twinkle Star blocks were finished while working on all those bits and pieces of the ORL project.


Twinkle Star, Tutorial by Andrea Feldbush of Soscrappy
  
I really like these three.  Just two more left to make.  Once those are done, this project will have to go back to project box till next year.

Block two in the Halloween Mystery was to make 4 spider web blocks.  I managed to finish two before heading to the quilt shop to pick up clue 3. 


 Halloween Mystery designed by Carrie Randall (Quilter's Hideaway)

Lots of pieces and cutting, but it's a fun block to make.  Web number 3 just needs the corners added and it will be done.  Web number 4 hasn't even been cut out yet.  Clue 3 has us making 4 applique blocks with a partial Dresden Plate worked in.  Applique is my least favorite quilting technique.  But in the spirit of working outside my comfort zone, I'm trudging along there.  The applique pieces are cut and ready to go, now I'm working on the first partial Dresden Plate.  I'm trying to decide between hand stitching or machine stitching the applique.  For some reason, my machine doesn't like to applique (more likely, it's me who can't figure out how to get the machine to like it).  The plan is to try a couple of practice pieces, if those work, then the blocks will get finished on the machine. If the machine stitching doesn't work out, it will be by hand.  The applique isn't big and it's finished edge, so a simple blanket stitch will work just fine.  The goal is to just get them finished and not let this part hold up the whole quilt.  Wish me luck. 

Linking up with the typical Monday design wall posts:

Making Monday
Main Crush Monday
Monday Design Wall   

11 comments:

Jayne said...

What fun spider web blocks! Kudos to you for tying new techniques and one that isn't your favorite! It's nice to expand our horizons once in a while!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Those spider web blocks are just great! That's one I've never made before. Looks like your Halloween mystery quilt is going to be a fun one!

Barbara said...

Wow...I love your spider web blocks. I’ve never made a spider web of any kind, and yours are so pretty they make me want to dig out some of the Halloween fabrics.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Wonderful spiders web blocks. A clever design with the spokes, love your colours.

Vicki in MN said...

Oh I love those spider web blocks!

piecefulwendy said...

Those spider web blocks -- the webs match up so beautifully! Hope you get the applique figured out. I have a good friend who lives in Sapulpa, so I smiled when you mentioned Tulsa.

Julie in GA said...

Gorgeous Twinkle Stars, and I love the spider web blocks! Good luck with the Dresdens and the applique. You will be glad you stuck with it!

Angie in SoCal said...

Love your twinkle stars. Why does it have to go back in the project box?

Jennifer said...

Those spider web blocks are great! My mom does a lot of machine appliqué and she always puts stabilizer on the back - sometimes thin and sometimes thicker, but her appliqué always looks great!

Marti said...

Cute webs! I can see where they would take a lot of time to make too. Applique is my least favorite too, at least turned edge. I'm ok with fusible but it seems like cheating now that I've seen turned edge. lol

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Good luck on the applique. I hope it goes well for you Kate! The spider web blocks are so cute - that will be an awesome quilt!