The Scientist in Training is all moved into her dorm room now. That ended up taking most of the weekend. Due to an inoperable toilet in her room, we ended up having to stay most of Sunday afternoon. I was glad we found that problem before we left, the SIT would have had a very rude surprise when she showed up next weekend to start classes. That delay meant there wasn't much stitching going on this weekend as we didn't get home till 7 PM yesterday. But I did have lots of time on the drive home to think about what June's One Monthly Goal was going to be.
I knew what the project was going to be as the quilt plan for 2018 was laid out back in December of last year. The real decision is determining how much I can actually get done on this project during the month. The plan for June is to work on my oldest UFO, the Red, White and Blue Star blocks.
These blocks were started as part of a class on constructing them. So there wasn't a plan at the start, I just started making them. With no plan, it was hard to determine what the next step was for this project. So last August I worked out a final setting.
Turns out there are two problems with this setting. The first is a design consideration, the star points between the two different blocks do not match up and that bugs me. Second, there's not enough blue fabric left to make this layout. I had planned to cut off two rows and make a square quilt, but I really prefer my quilts to be longer than they are wide. So while sitting around waiting for the maintenance guy to show up to the SIT's dorm, I played around in EQ and came up with this version.
I've got enough of the blue background fabric to finish this layout and only five more star blocks need to be constructed. That should be no problem. Before we left on Saturday, I selected the fabrics to make another seven blocks.
Now to pick my favorite five from the set and make those blocks. All that's left to decide on is what's the goal for June. I've been struggling with making my goals this year. Work has been crazy and life seems to have other plans for me than spending time in the sewing room. As much as I'd love to get this project to finished flimsy stage, the goal this month is to just finish the five blocks needed for the new layout. If more gets done, then all the better.
Linking up with the:
One Monthly Goal
Main Crush Monday
Monday Design Wall