Friday, December 1, 2023

November Wrap Up: PHD in 2023

Hard to believe it's December.  Just one month left to reach all those goals we crafted so carefully last December. One of my goals was to play along with Quilting Gail's PHD in 2023 and do better than I did in 2022.  I'm linking up to the November PHD Update with a report that looks better then last month's. 



  
I finished a second quilt in November, which puts my PHD performance on par with last year's in terms of overall finishes.  In addition to the finish, there was good progress on several other projects. 

I've been working on this emboridered panel since 2012. It's been my traveling project for most of that time.  I have to admit it travels a lot more then it gets worked on, but Grad Girl likes to sit, stitch and talk, so I did make some good progress on it over the holiday weekend. 


The panel is over half way done. Let's hope it doesn't take me another ten years to finish it!  

The backing for Scrappy Butterflies (self designed) is in progress. 



The next step is to prep both quilt top and backing for quilting.  The person who quilts for me has some significant family stuff this month, so we agreed that it was best to wait to send this quilt till after the holiday.  I may or may not try to get this prepped before the end of the month. It may wait till January.  

A few orange blocks were finished for Wild and Goosey (Bonnie Hunter).


There ares still 2 partially completed orange blocks at the sewing machine. Once those are finisehd, Wild and Goosey is going back into the project box till January.  I'll pull it out again to use as my RSC project for 2024.  

Macaron Mystery (Meadow Mist Designs) was my one finish for the month, the second for the year. 


I always enjoy Cheryl's mystery quilts, though this one isn't exactly her final layout.  This quilt is going to be a graduation present next May, well unless I finish something that Grad Girl thinks is a better fit for her mentor between now and then.  

The plan was to finish getting the borders on Rhododendron, Bonnie Hunters 2021 mystery quilt, before this year's mystery took off. 


There was progress on the pieced border, but the quilt top is still a ways off of being finished. I'm not doing full borders of the flying geese. Fingers crossed my plan for the unpieced part of the border works out.  

Melodic Mystery, the 2022 Meadow Mist Designs quilt along, is back from being quilted. 



The quilt was delivered yesterday. So I've not done much more than unbox it and admire the quilting.  Trudy did a wonderful job on this one.  Now the plan is to get the label and binding made so this qult becomes my third finish of the year.  

Last year's Bonnie Hunter mystery, Chilhowie, is still in the works.  The last few blocks haven't gone as quickly as I thought they would.  



It's hard to see the progress since last month, but there was some.  

Clue 5 is still in the works for this year's Meadow Mist Designs' Mystery, the Malted Mystery.  I've till next Thursday to catch up. 



I'm happy with my colors this year. Looking forward to seeing how all these Bits and pieces go together.  

Bonnie Hunter's 2023 Mystery, Indigo Way, kicked off last Friday.  Since we weren't home for Thanksgiving, I didn't get started till Tuesday on clue 1.  Thankfully, I'm only making half the blocks. 


I'm going to need to step up the pace if I'm going to catch up.  My Guy is leaving on a business trip Sunday, so I should have lots of sewing time next week.  

If you stuck with me this long, thank you.  There are way too many projects in the works.  I definitely need to trim the active list down some.  That should happen this week.  

I had hoped to have more complete bars in my progress chart.  


  
Hopefully, by the end of the month there will be more colored in spaces.  

Happy stitching this month.  Enjoy the holiday season, whichever one you celebrate.  

5 comments:

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

It looks like you are well on your way to having 3 finishes this year while also being set up for a Scrappy Butterflies finish early next year, too. It all looks like progress to me!

Sara said...

Everything seems to be moving forward little by little. It's all good, right? I have a "travel project" from about 2000 that was started on a long drive from SD to Atlanta Georgia. I put it away years ago in frustration. Maybe it's time to get it out and finish it. LOL

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

Happy December , dear Kate. You certainly have made progress on a lot of fabulous projects. It is fun to look at the comparison photos; I feel like when I see where I was and where I am I can see the progress. Cheryl's Mystery quilt will be a stunning graduation gift for Grad Girl. Have a lovely evening and happy quilting. Hugs.

Barbara said...

Wow…you have a lot going on in your sewing room. It’s all looking good. The Wild and Goosey looks time-consuming, but I love what I’m seeing.

Jennifer said...

Congrats on the second finish for the year, and hope you're able to make the rest of the project that you hope to make by year-end.