Friday, July 2, 2021

PHD Progress at the Half Way Point

Hard to believe it's already July 2021.  The last two months have passed really fast for me. My work-life balance was pretty much non-existent during that time.  Thankfully, things have improved and I have hopes of making more progress this month.  So hopefully next month's PHD report will look a lot better than this one.  


 I squeezed in one more finish at the end of June. 



Not a great showing for the half way point in the year. But that's all I had finished at the midpoint of 2020, but 5 more projects were completed before the end of the year. I'm hoping for a repeat of that this year. I've been really good on not starting anything new. That's probably my biggest accomplishment for the year. 

Grassy Creek was the new finish on the report. 


I'm really happy with how my version of Grassy Creek, the 2020 Bonnie Hunter Mystery quilt, worked out.  It's not my usual color palette, I used Bonnie's recommended colors for this mystery.  I only made half the blocks, which ended up creating a nice throw sized quilt. This is BH mystery quilt #9 for me. I've only completed 4 others. There are two other BH mystery projects on the PHD list, On Ringo Lake and Celtic Solstice.  But they are at the bottom, so it's not likely I'll get that far this year.  

The Morewood Mystery quilt advanced to finished quilt top in June. 


Morewood is my fifth Meadow Misty Designs mystery quilt. I'm in the process of assembling the backing.  I'm hoping to get this project out for quilting before cutting the fabric for this year's Macaron Mystery.  Cheryl just posted the fabric requirements for this year's mystery.  So I've got another month before she posts the cutting directions.  These are one clue a month mystery quilt alongs, so not as fast and furious as a Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt along.  

There's been visible progress on Cabins and Fans. 



Rows three and four are all sewn together along with a good start on assembling row five.  I'm excited to see this quilt come together.  I'm hoping to have a finished quilt top by the end of the month.  

Progress on Unity  plods along as it's my current leader and ender project. 



Unity is another Bonnie Hunter quilt along.  Just two more blocks and I'll be able to sew on border number 3 for step 7.  Fingers crossed the next 9 blocks go much faster then the last 9.  After that there is only another top and bottom pieced border before I can finish this one off with a plain border.  

There wasn't time for any hand stitching this month, so there's been no change to the embroidered butterfly panel.   



That's the progress for this month.  Linking up with Quilting Gail for the monthly PHD report.  Happy stitching this month and for those in the US, have a wonderful 4th of July holiday.  

7 comments:

Ivani said...

You made great progress on the quilt frontier despite working so hard.
I hope this month you can have time to do what you love so much. Your quilts are beautiful.

The Joyful Quilter said...

I think you made some really good progress, Kate. While it may not seem like a whole lot to you, in my mind, any is SEW much better than none!!

Melisa- pinkernpunkinquilting said...

What a fun photo challenge. You have been very busy and make great progress. Your quilt projects are so pretty . You are inspiring me to pull out my embroidery. Happy quilting

chrisknits said...

So much progress when you compare them side by side!

Julie in GA said...

You continue to make very good progress on multiple projects. You are in good shape to end up with several more finishes in the second half of the year.

Quilting Gail said...

I'm totally amazed at you!!! No NEW STARTS!!!! Amazing! At least you don't have unfinished new starts to add to your UFO list!
AND you are making progress on your UFOs!!! Keep it up!
(Plus Bonnie Hunter quilts are not quick finishes!)

Jennifer said...

And now we are halfway through July! How is it going so quickly? Great progress on your quilts, looks like the next few are pretty close. I am thinking about jumping in to the Macaron mystery, just need to see what I can come up with from my stash.