Monday, March 22, 2021

The Front and Back

It was a quiet weekend, but not nearly long enough.  I'm not ready to head back to work today.  Thankfully, the meeting schedule doesn't look too nuts this week. Maybe I can get caught up a bit.  

It would be nice if work projects were going as well as my stitching projects.  Last week I finished adding the borders to Grassy Creek but wasn't able to get a photo to post.  That was remedied yesterday. 

Grassy Creek, the 2020 Bonnie Hunter Mystery Quilt



The top hasn't been pressed yet, so please excuse the wrinkles. I'm happy with how it came together. My version is half the size of Bonnie's original pattern.  It's a nice couch sized quilt.  I finished stitching the back together yesterday.



The floral is about 2/3 of the back with the gold making up the final 1/3.  Next step is to give the back a good press, remove any loose threads, then package it for shipping.  That's the plan for this week.  Pressing and cleaning up the quilt top will take a lot more effort, so I'll save that for next week. Fingers crossed I'll get this mailed out for quilting by the end of the month.  So hopefully there will be another finish before the end of April.  

Linking up with Monday Making and Design Wall Monday.   Getting Grassy Creek to the finish top stage and getting the back completed were my OMG for March. Linking up with Elm Street Quilts for the end of March OMG Link Up.  

20 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your Grassy Creek quilt is beautiful! Using a limited number of fabrics instead of scrappy really calmed down the busy pattern, and your colors are so pretty. I love it!

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

A very pretty Grassy Creek! It looks just as great in half size!!!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I like your version - Bonnie has nice patterns but they are usually so busy it is distracting

Bonnie said...

I agree with all the comments above. Your Grassy Creek really lets the pattern shine through. Hum, maybe one of these days I'll do another Bonnie quilt using make half the blocks method. It looks like it is really large (to me!) Hope you can have some quilty moments this week.

Sara said...

Oh my - those simple borders are PERFECT on Grassy Creek and allow those blocks to be the star. Good job!

Barbara said...

Beautiful! I love those pops of red, and your backing is perfect.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

It turned out absolutely perfect and beautiful!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

I hope that you have a good week at work and are able to feel like things there are less overwhelming soon! And hooray for being so close to sending out another quilt for quilting. You are making great progress this year.

piecefulwendy said...

Grassy Creek has such pretty colors, very soothing. I'm glad your sewing is going pleasantly when your work isn't - at least you can feel good about being in your quilt room. I do hope your work settles down for you and that you have a great week.

AnnieO said...

Looking great! Congrats on a finished quilt top! Nice to cross that one off the list :)

Tu-Na Quilts said...

Oh that top is beautiful. The simple border compliments the design perfectly. Do you wish you had made it larger now that you see it finished?

Marti said...

Very nice! The gray is a good contrast and like others have said, it's not busy like so many of hers are.

thea said...

Looks great! I really shouldn't read all the comments before I start my comment -- all I can say now is I agree with everything everyone else said!

Ivani said...

Your Grass Creeks top looks wonderful.

Carol Andrews said...

I love your Grassy Creek. The borders are perfect

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I love it!!! its so pretty !!

Emily said...

WOW! Grassy Creek looks awesome!!! I don't follow Bonnie Hunter so I don't know which of her colors you kept and which you switched out, but I absolutely love that bright green! Lovely!

Patty said...

Love your quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Jennifer said...

Wow, the top looks great - it’s a wonderful couch quilt!

dq said...

I have started making smaller quilts as well. They get done quicker, and I don't need them to be so large anymore.

Grassy Creek is lovely!