Monday, July 13, 2020

Solving One Mystery to Start Another

The staycation has come to an end, it's back to work today.  It's been a nice few days off.  I didn't get as much time in the sewing room as I'd hoped, but I did get in one nothing but sewing day during our break.  Sad to say I'm already ready for another one.  

One of the goals last week was to finish off the binding on Mosaic Mystery.  The last of the binding was stitched down on Saturday evening and the last glamour shot was taken yesterday. 

 Mosaic Mystery Quilt (Farfalla)
designed by Cheryl at Meadow Mist Designs
Started August 26, 2019, Finished July 11, 2020 
 
I'm happy with the finish, though I really wish there had been enough of the butterfly fabric to make that final border just a bit wider.  The binding is the same dark purple as the last border.  


 The quilting is a meander, with what looks like a butterfly showing up here and there in the quilting. 


I've shown the label before. Farfalla is the Italian word for butterfly, as I learned from one of my light summer reads.  It seemed to fit this project.  

There's no plan for this project at the moment.  Usually the Scientist in Training's roommate asks me to donate quilt to their fundraiser for the regional service dog training organization she works with.  Since so much has been canceled due to the pandemic, not sure they'll have the fundraiser this year.  But I've got that covered if it does go ahead.  

Finishing up Mosaic Mystery was my July One Monthly Goal.  I'll link up with Elm Street Quilts at the end of the month when that linky party opens up. 

This finish is timely in that the next Meadow Mist Designs mystery starts this month. The fabric requirements were posted last week for the Morewood Mystery.  The SIT helped me poke around in the stash last night. Here's where we ended up just before dinner last night. 


The two blue florals have been in the stash for a while, as has the purple, green and blue print. Only the pink/purple fabric is recent.  But they were all in the stash.  I like the combination, but someone recently commented on the blog that my color schemes for many of my quilts looked the same.  Case in point here's the fabric pull for Frolic (which is still on the design wall). 



I do love how Frolic came out, so I don't have a problem with the colors.  But do I want to play with the same color palette for another project?   I have till August to finalize the fabric pull for the Morewood Mystery.  I'm going to play in the stash a bit more to see what else I can come up with. 

Linking up with Monday Making, Design Wall Monday, Main Crush Monday and the July One Monthly Goal wrap up linky party when it posts.   

23 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Farfalla is just beautiful - congratulations on your finish, Kate! I admire your color choices and fabric pulls for every quilt, and would never question them. I can never understand why people leave those kinds of comments! It can be fun to challenge yourself with different color combos, though. I often admire things I see other quilters do with their fabric choices, but then can't pull it off myself.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilt is wonderful - great finish. I'm amazed at times the things people say in comments. I love the colors you chose. Also some of us like certain colors so we might tend to purchase more fabric in our favorites - nothing wrong with that

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Congrats on your finish Kate - it is so lovely! I always love to see the labels you make. They are so creative and always fit the theme of your quilts. I think all of us have fabrics we are drawn to and tend to use those most in our quilts. I really like seeing others fabric pulls. Pulling fabrics for a mystery quilt is not easy and it's always fun to see how those mystery's come together. I would use the fabrics you love and not question it. After all, it's YOUR quilt! :)

Libby in TN said...

I tried pulling together fabrics for Morewood and everything I came up with was just meh so I think I will be skipping this year -- that or I'm going to cheat and look at the solution ..

Bonnie said...

I've been thinking about Morewood but haven't looked at fabric seriously yet. My biggest issue will be the 4.5 (or so) yards of background fabric. That will have to be purchased... sigh. I love your colors. Looking over your pull for Frolic made me realize I've used it too. But I don't think I would have pulled the red and the bright green. But I know it looks great in your Frolic. Hope you get some quilty time this week.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful Finish !!
and amazing fabric pull!!

Sara said...

I think most of us are guilty of keeping similar color schemes in our quilts and our fabric stashes. I'm drawn to "brights". But pretty is pretty, even if you have used those colors already.

Rebecca said...

The thing about working with similar color schemes is the scraps always work well together!!!!lol

AnnieO said...

Wonderful finish! Oh, it always feels great to have a finished quilt to enjoy—and the excitement of starting a new one! Those fabric combinations don’t seem too similar to me, and are certainly very different from Your finished quilt. What’s pretty, is pretty!

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Congratulations on getting Farfalla finished before the next mystery quilt gets really underway! I hope that you can ease back into work this week.

Barbara said...

It turned out beautifully! Nice work. I like the fabrics you've picked for the next one. Will enjoy watching it come together.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on your finish, Kate, and that pretty fabric pull!! Straight from stash? All the better!

DawnyK said...

Love how this turned out. The borders look fantastic! Well done. Congratulations on the finish.

Nann said...

It's so light an airy -- a wonderful summertime quilt. And the label is nifty.
Another mystery? I'll have to check it out.

Louise said...

What a gorgeous finish! Farfalla is simply beautiful. I love seeing all quilted and bound, with the texture enhancing your lovely fabric choices. I hope it can be used in a fundraiser, since it's sure to bring in some very nice bids. Congrats on the finish! :)

MissPat said...

Farfalla is a delightful finish. I'm always very impressed with your unique labels. Your color selections are spot on. Of course, I'm a purple lover so it's no surprise I approve of your fabric pull. With the amount of time we put into making our quilts, why would we want to work with a color scheme that didn't appeal to us? Listen to your intuition and ignore the critics.
Pat

dq said...

I am glad to hear how much you enjoy mysteries. They can be great stash busters too it would seem.

Yay Yay!! You have a finish!

Emily @ The Darling Dogwood said...

Farfarella is beautiful! I love that deep purple! I'm working on fabric selection for Moorewood as well. I really like your colors, and if that's a color palette you enjoy, I say stick with it! You also don't seem to keep many of your quilts for yourself so even if they have similar colors, they all end up in different places.

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on your Farfalla finish! It is such a pretty quilt, and lovely quilting too. I think your new colors look great for the new mystery. I am debating whether or not I jump in - I think I’d need to purchase a background fabric, but other than that, could pull from stash. Good thing I have a few more weeks....decisions, decisions!

Rebecca Grace said...

Your Farfalla finish is lovely, Kathy! How wonderful to have completed your quilt before your staycation ended. Good luck with your next mystery!

Janis said...

Farfalla is lovely! Caught my eye right away. Congratulations on getting the quilting finished on your week off.

Anne-Marie said...

Great job on your finish! I'm getting ready to start the Morewood mystery too, and just finished my Frolic top today. I don't think you should be concerned at all that your quilts all have the same color way. That means you have a cohesive body of work!

Patty said...

Very nice! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!