Monday, August 20, 2018

Weekend Stitching: Invisible Progress

It was nice to have a weekend at home for a change and even better to have some time to recharge after a busy week.  My plan was to have a nothing but stitching day on Sunday.  Other than the dash to  church in the pouring rain and an afternoon coffee break to hang with My Guy for a bit, it pretty much was a NBS day.  

The rub is that all the sewing hasn't yet made an impact on the state of the design wall, but you can tell there was a lot of progress based on what's pinned and waiting to be stitched at the sewing machine.


That's the beginnings of 6 Twinkle Star blocks, this month's one monthly goal.  After making the decision to not sash the quilt, it needs 18 more blocks to be large enough for the intended recipient. To decide what colors to use in the blocks, I played around with the layout on the design wall. 

Twinkle Stars, Tutorial by Andrea Feldbush of Soscrappy


The Scientist in Training wanted it laid out with the colors grouped.  So after playing around a bit, this is what I decided on.  So I need 3 more red, 2 purple, 10 more blue, 2 more teal and 1 more orange.  I'll get serious about where each block goes once all the blocks are finished.  I'm hoping to have all new blocks finished this month.  Then this project will probably go back into it's project box till next year.  

There was a bit of progress on the Inverted Star project too.  The first round of white borders are on, but since Twinkle Stars is up on the design wall, I don't have any pictures of that.  The gray sawtooth stars for the next border are all finished. 


All that's left is the 5 brown stars and 3 or 4 more various color stars to have enough for the next border.  My plan is to lay out the blocks for the border and then decide what additional colors are needed to fill in.  I'm really hoping to get this project done by October so it can go to Trudy for quilting as it needs to be finished by Christmas.  

Linking up with the usual Monday linky parties.
Making Monday
Design Wall Monday

19 comments:

Preeti said...

NBS? Nothing but sewing? No Bullshit?
Oh my goodness - these colors and are so vibrant. They just jump out from the screen. Love love love these stars.

Ramona said...

Those Twinkle Stars sure do twinkle! I love the little pops of different colors throughout. They really do make is sparkle. Beautiful.

Quilter Kathy said...

Twinkle stars is an amazing quilt! I would probably be tempted to sew together all those partial rows to hang on a hanger until the other blocks are done.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

All of these blocks are so pretty and work so well together. I'm surprised that you are going to put them together when all the blocks are pieced. Looks like a happy sewing day.

Karen said...

A very interesting block design. I have not seen it before. You have a very good start on a great quilt.

Barbara said...

How nice and how unusual for you to get a whole day for NBS. Twinkle Stars is getting close.

Cherie's Quilting Journey said...

Those twinkle star blocks are great. Great color combinations.

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Twinkle Stars is beautiful. I really like the layout you've selected. This is why it's essential to have a deep stash, so no guilt over any stash enhancements.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, those twinkle star blocks are glorious! How fun to have a NBS day!

Sara said...

Love those Twinkle Stars!

Julie in GA said...

You are making great progress on both of your projects, and I look forward to seeing them completed.

Louise said...

Looks like you're down to the wire on the Twinkles. And your gray sawtooths are so truly gray that I thought a black and white photo had slipped into your post :)

thea said...

Wow! Those stars are gorgeous!

dq said...

Goals goals goals... they spur us along. I hope you get your two projects done on track especially the one for Christmas. Good luck.

Gayle Bong said...

Yay. No sashing! I wonder if i have the brights to do that.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

That's exactly what we did on Sunday, relaxed and recharged. Your Twinkle Stars are beautiful. I really like the way you and the Scientist in Training arranged them.

-Soma

Sandra Walker said...

Wow Kate, that is gorgeous! I love a good rainbow on the diagonal effect! Love the title of your post too!

Jennifer said...

Those twinkle stars are just drop dead gorgeous on your design wall! Glad you had a full day to sew!

Sandy Panagos said...

The Twinkle Stars are stunning. I don't know if I would be able to part with that one!