Monday, July 17, 2017

Weekend Stitching: Back in the Sewing Room

With a little help from Drama Teen, vacation laundry got done and put away early on Sunday, leaving me the rest of the day to play in the sewing room.  The fabric closet got a little attention, it still needs a lot more.  The last Meadow Mist Mystery quilt is almost bound, there's about 30 inches left to stitch down.  So there should be a finish by the end of the week.  

Most of the visible progress is on the Christmas Angels Blocks.

  

Four of the fifteen blocks are finished, with the remaining eleven in various stage of construction.  Before we left for vacation, I couldn't resist adding in the alternate blocks and checking out the layout. 


There's not enough done on the angel blocks to see the secondary pattern in this photo, but I'm happy with how it's coming together.  It would be nice to get this UFO to the finished flimsy stage by the end of the month.  Not sure that will happen as I've got a business trip the last week of the month. Even if it's not completely done, it's nice to get one of the older UFOs this far.  

My UFO count is at 18, that's the highest it's been in 7 years.  In 2012 my UFO list only had 4 quilts on it.  I've done pretty well at finishing most of the quilts I've started the last couple of years, it's the ones that I started in 2013 that are really lingering on the list. Eight of the 18 were started in 2013.   The plan is to finish 7 UFOs this year.  Doubt I get that many to the finish line, but at least I'm making progress.     

Linking up with:
Main Crush Monday
Monday Making
Design Wall Monday

17 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Kate,
I think you have made great strides in this project since the last time I saw an update. I think the angels are just lovely. It sure give the project a different spin adding the alternate blocks. ~smile~ Roseanne

Nann said...

I clicked on the "Christmas Angels" label to see the history of this project. I really like the design! Hope you can get this one completed -- four years in the making is long enough!

Quilter Kathy said...

I don't even know how many UFO's I actually have. I think I would be too overwhelmed to try and figure it out! I am trying not to start as many as I used to in order to not add to the pile!
The angels are lovely and will be a gorgeous quilt!

Alison V. said...

This is going to be so pretty! I love the alternating star blocks. You know I have a huge UFO/WIP list, so I understand!

Barbara said...

That is so pretty! I don't think I've ever seen it before...don't know how I've missed it. I've missed several days in the sewing room too. Think I'll get back in there today.

AnnieO said...

Very pretty! I have a couple of Christmas quilts and love to have them out. Good work on the UFO list!

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Oh my gosh, I would be scared to count my UFO's! LOL Of course, the first step to getting better is admitting there's a problem so I can't finish the UFO's if I don't know what/how many there are, right? (Boy, that was a long sentence!) I always admire how much you get accomplished Kate. You keep me inspired!

Bonnie said...

I wish my UFO's were only 18. I've been whittling away on them but I don't see a whole lot of progress. Your angel quilt is making great progress.

Julie in GA said...

Your angels are looking great!
Congrats on getting through so many UFOs. I seem to have stalled on mine and just keep starting new projects.

Katie Z. said...

You're doing great!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Whoot Whoot! Yay for the laundry help! those blocks are gorgeous! I love the way you are setting them

Jennie in GA said...

Love the setting on this quilt. Beautiful work. Wish I only had 18 UFOs....and then I create more:-(

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

It is going to be beautiful, love it with those alternative blocks. I'm aiming to reduce my UFOs by three this year. But next year when I leave work? Who knows what I will achieve, fingers crossed.

Sandra Walker said...

So dramatic a quilt! Something about red and black...

maggie fellow said...

18 doesn't sound like much - you need to start a few more:)

Jennifer said...

I really like your angel blocks and the alternates - look forward to seeing them come together. Good luck on the UFOs - my goal is to finish up 8 this year and I think I've done 2 so far - gives me lots to work on the second half of the year!

Sheila said...

Seems I'm always working on UFO's. Think I have seven or eight. Sorry to say, it stresses me to have that many.
beautiful quilt in progress.