Wednesday, March 29, 2017

One Monthly Goal - March Wrap Up

Just a few days left in March. It's been a busy month, work is absolutely crazy.  Thankfully the sewing room has been a nice refuge in the evenings.  I've made good progress on March's One Monthly Goal. 



The plan for March was to start piecing the last of the graduation quilts.  There was a laundry list of things that needed to be done to make that happen.

Wash and press all the fabric ✔
Print the center panel on fabric ✔
Rinse, dry and cut the center panel to size✔
Print pattern from EQ, write cutting and pressing instructions ✔
Cut fabrics and start sewing✔

I count a quilt as "started" once the fabrics are cut.  That happened on March 11th.  Since then, the first two borders have been added and I've got a good start on the Friendship Stars that make up the third border. 


 The First Amendment Quilt
self designed

The left star border has already been sewn together and attached to the center panel.  The star blocks for the right side are still being assembled.  I wasn't sure how well that news print fabric would work, but I'm liking the effect.  Thankfully Drama Teen fully approves.   So I'm three for three on my 2017 OMGs.  I really do like this link up, it's been a great motivator each month. 

I've also been working really hard to get my Meadow Mist Mystery Quilt into finished flimsy form to show off in April.  I've been assembling the last set of blocks. 


 Meadow Mist Designs Mystery
By Cheryl Brickey of the Meadow Mist Designs Blog

The quilt has 8 of these blocks.  That's number 6 and 7 up on the design wall still under construction.  So just 3 blocks left to assemble and I can start sewing the blocks together.  Drama Teen and My Guy are going to a concert tonight, so I'll have the house to myself.  I'm contemplating putting this project front and center for one night to see if I can get it together before Friday.  I'd like to be able to submit a finished flimsy for the quilt parade.  

It's been a good month in the sewing room.  Wish I could say the same about work!  

Linking up with:
Let's Bee Social at Sew Fresh Quilts
Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation
March Finish Up - One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts
UFO-2017 at Patchwork Times

13 comments:

Alison V. said...

Hooray for meeting your goal! I can't wait to see your finished Meadow Mystery. I just finished my top this weekend!

Bonnie said...

I agree with you about how motivating the OMG is. Your current graduation quilt if great -- and you are so "with it" with the low volume background fabric. Good luck getting the Meadow Mystery finished in time.

Barbara said...

Oh I really like the newsprint fabric. It's perfect for this quilt. Love the stars too. It's going to be fun watching this come together.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I love the stars with the newsprint background--different and interesting!!
and you have been very steady and good on all your sewing this since the first of the year--keep it going--
enjoy the moments, di

Janice Holton said...

Hi Kate! You and I are in EXACTLY the same phase of the mystery quilt. I thought I had a lot more time to get this one until I realized the last step was 8 blocks! Hope you have a productive day getting yours done. By the way, did you press all your seams open like the instructions said? That takes forever! I cheated and did not do that.

Patty said...

Nice to get projects started and underway. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts and congrats on your progress.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

Your mystery quilt looks interesting, I really like the dark fabric. I didn't press my seams open, maybe that's why it took ages to stitch them together. Your First Amendment Quilt is coming on great, congrats on your goal.

Nancy @ Grace and Peace Quilting said...

Three for 3 on your OMGs?!! You are rockin' it!!! Great job! Love your center panel, friendship stars and newspaper print together.

Denise :) said...

LOL! As Nancy said, you're rockin'!! I really do love your design for the The First Amendment quilt -- very nice. Maybe I should consider linking up monthly. Maybe then I wouldn't be *quite* so tempted to start something new every weekend. Nawwwwww. LOL! :)

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Well Done! The First Amendment Quilt looks fantastic. Great idea with the newspaper print.

-Soma

Unknown said...

Great choice on the newsprint, it looks awesome!

Jennifer said...

Both projects look great - hope you got the time you wanted to finish up your mystery quilt!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I LOVE that newsprint as the background - it makes everything go together so well. That is going to be a cool one!