Saturday, February 28, 2015

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Playing with Pinks

Due to the three inches of snow and frigid temperatures yesterday afternoon, plus the forecast for more snow and freezing rain starting at mid morning today, the District Science Fair has been moved to next weekend.  So none of us will have to get out today.  You may think that's not enough snow to bother with, but we were out yesterday afternoon and the roads were pretty slick.  We had ice the morning of last year's fair.  There were reports of multiple accidents last year involving both participants and judges on their way to the fair, so I'm sure the organizers are using an abundance of caution this year.

My Guy and I were off work yesterday, so I got to spend most of the day playing in the sewing room.  I finished up the last of the pink Twinkle Star blocks.

Twinkle Stars, Tutorial by Andrea Feldbush of Soscrappy

























I couldn't resist pulling out last month's blue blocks and mixing those in with the pink. 



Twinkle Stars, Tutorial by Andrea Feldbush of Soscrappy


Now I can't wait to see what the color is for March so I can add those in too.

Playing in the sewing room also moved last year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler quilt to the finished flimsy stage.  The last border was stitched on yesterday. 


 Rainbow Scrap Challenge Sampler By Angela Feldbush of Soscrappy
  

It's not a fully pieced border, but the short run of Flying Geese at the corners do a lot to keep the black borders from being overwhelming.  When these sampler blocks were up on the design wall, I wasn't sure this quilt was going to turn out, but I'm really happy with it now.  Drama Teen has laid claim to this one when it's done.  She wants it for snuggling on the couch.  

For more scrappy fun, check out all the links over at Soscrappy.  

20 comments:

Julie in GA said...

I love the border you used on your Rainbow Sampler quilt--just enough piecing to make it interesting. Your Twinkler blocks are gorgeous!

Barbara said...

It all looks great, Kate. Your sampler quilt is simply amazing, and I love what you've done with the flying geese. Your stars are beautiful too. How fun to get to spend a whole day sewing. I'm thinking that's a rare treat for you.

Scrappy quilter said...

I continue to love your Twinkle Stars. Your quilt is so pretty. Have fun sewing today.

scraphappy said...

Twinklers are looking great, but WOW the finished 2014 quilt is so fabulous! Love the partial pieced border. What a fun way to finish it up.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Those twinkleblocks are fantastic - I love the one that looks like bubbles are floating by! And yes - Ice is worse that snow I have decided. we had an 80 car pileup due to ice (not me, our state) so I allow you to stay home (lol - like that really helps right?)

Anonymous said...

Yikes - both of these are gorgeous. Last year's quilt is spectacular. The twinkler blocks are really fun as well. Beautiful work!

Magpie Sue said...

The flimsy is stunning! Good job! You're going to have another winner with the twinkle stars too.

quiltedfabricart said...

the flying geese in the corners is the perfect addition, not to much but it did need something.
love the twinklers. I would give drama teen last years but keep 2015 for yourself :-)

Nell's Quilts said...

Love the geese in the corners o n last year's RSC blocks. They add just that little extra to the border. Your twinklers look great together. Some yellow sparks will be interesting in March.

Sue SA said...

Love it, I think the black borders with flying geese just make it!

Katie Z. said...

Oh my goodness. The twinklers are fabulous, and I love your border! Great!

Anonymous said...

I know that I have already said this but I love the twinklers. The borders on the rainbow challenge adds just the right touch to the quilt
Terry

Angie said...

Love the Twinkle Stars - what a fun galaxy they will make! Great idea for your RSC Sampler block setting - the flying geese really add some visual pop!

Anonymous said...

Ooooh! those blocks are beautiful!

seabreezequilts said...

Love the twinkle star block, have pinned it. I have the ruler so will give it a go. The sampler is looking great love the little bit of piecing on the border too.

Kate said...

OH! I love how the RSC borders turned out! Perfect finishing touch! Also love the twinkle stars - looking good so far!

Kathy's A Quilter said...

wow, wow, wow...those twinkle blocks are outstanding! And last year's rainbow blocks are great and I agree with everyone else those flying geese in the border are perfect. Well done.

Jo said...

I like how you have done the borders.. Looks great

Sheila said...

Wow! Love your stars! And your rainbow sampler is awesome! Flying geese in border is a great idea! You go girl!

Rozsamaria - Habibihomemade said...

I love your Twinkle Star blocks and the scrappy flying geese border - such a good idea to do a partial border.