Sunday, November 6, 2022

Stitching Stuff: Week 43 of 2022


I'm still adjusting to being retired (which is the current plan, at least for now).  I've embarked on a deep cleaning and decluttering effort, which keeps me busy most mornings. It's amazing what I found hiding in the china cabinet. Why were there two partial boxes of silverware, both sets missing just the the knives? Then I remembered Grad Girls 7th grade science fair project where she was investigating if fingerprints could survive underwater on a knife handle. All my silverware has patterned handles, so we bought two cheap sets for her experiments (plus going without knives for the 2 weeks she left them in water bath is a long time to do without). I'm sure I'll discover other mysteries (such as where did the floor attachment for the vacuum end up) as I continue my efforts.   

I've reserved afternoons for stitching time. I've done pretty well at getting to the sewing room this week. 

  • 15 minute days/week = 6/7 days
  • 15 minute days/Nov = 4/5 days
  • 15 minute days/2022 = 164/309 days
  • Success rate = 53.07%
I missed one afternoon of stitching due to dealing with retirement paperwork and finicial advisors.  I was too mentally drained to play with rotary cutters and anything with moving parts after that. 

My Guy took his monthly day off this week and we had a date day.  We drove over to Pawhuska and ate lunch at the Mercantile. 



This is the restaurant owned and operated by Rea Drummond, also known as the Pioneer Woman.  It's the first time we've been to the restaurant, it can be hard to get into without a long wait.  The food was really good, but there was a lot of it. We ended up going very light for dinner because we were still so full from lunch.  

After lunch we visited the walking trail just down the street a bit to see if we could walk off part of lunch.  It was a beautiful autumn day. 



  


I did see one lone bloom left along the path. 




It was definitely a nice day to be outside. It's turned much cooler since that day, so it may be our last walking date day till spring.  We'll see.  

How did your stitching life work out this week? 


1. Gretchen
2. Frederique
3. Julie in GA
4. Karen
5. maggie f
6. Ivani
7. Stitching Loving Nana :)
8. DonnaleeQ
9. Quilting Gail
10. Amanda
11. Jennifer in Indy
12. Carol @ Quilt Schmilt

Powered by... Mister Linky's Magical Widgets.

13 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Such a beautiful day for a walk and day in town, and for enjoying your retirement. Great stitching time!

Julie in GA said...

I love the beautiful fall photos! I know retirement wasn't part of your plans just yet, but hope you will enjoy it once you get over the shock. It sounds like you are making very good use of your free time.

maggie fellow said...

sounds like a lovely day - and my vacuum cleaner attachment retired as well and is always on a trip somwhere

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Cleaning and decluttering is a good retirement job! I've been retired 7 years and I still feel like I'm doing that. Maybe it's never-ending! Your day out looks fun - beautiful photos. Have a great stitching week, Kate!

MissPat said...

While retirement wasn't your first choice, you have lots of interests to keep you busy. Look at this as an opportunity to redirect your energies. Who knows what adventure await on the horizon. Enjoy what each new day brings.
Pat

Ivani said...

Beautiful photos from a special day with your husband. Enjoy the free afternoons and keep stitching.

Claire said...

My approach to retirement hasn't been nearly so organized, LOL. Enjoy the time!

seabreezequilts said...

Lovely pictures. My hubby has been very busy since he retired some days he thinks that he no longer has time for work. He has started cleaning out the house now. He started in the kitchen last week, now we have to work out what to do with the stuff that we no longer want.

Barbara said...

Fun visiting Ree Drummond’s restaurant. She seems to have her fingers into a lot of different things. I watched them renovate that place on her blog.

Jennifer said...

I am sure you will have lots of interesting discoveries in the coming days and hope that a nice routine begins to establish itself for you. What a neat trip to Pawhuska - I keep saying I need to take my mom on a trip there to see what the town is all about - she loves everything about PW!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Sounds like a lovely date!!
ps - I missed the retirement part - congratulations!
If you want more places to clean..... My house is available hahahaha!

Linda said...

Good luck with all the "stuff" to deal with after being your unwelcomed retirement. I'm glad you had a date day! I think if we still lived in OK I might want to make a trip to Pawhuska and eat at The Merc. Haven't been to Pawhuska since high school! That's a beautiful trail.

dq said...

Cute red truck and beautiful leaf photo.
Is that in OK?