Tuesday, August 11, 2020

To Do Tuesday for the Week of 8/11/2020

We took a couple of staycation days last week. It was nice to hang with the Scientist in Training before she headed back to college, but it was also nice to get some dedicated time in the sewing room. That helped make pretty quick work of last week's To Do List.  

Weekly To Do List for 08/04/2020
  • Storm at Sea: Press, trim, prep for quilting
  • Frolic: Assemble flying geese borders
  • Unity: Step 3, finish sawtooth stars

I kept last week's list pretty short in hopes it would help me focus on getting that backing for Storm at Sea prepped. That worked, though having two extra days off didn't hurt either.  I'm going to try a similar strategy for this week in hopes I'll have Storm at Sea ready to ship out for quilting by the end of the week.  

Weekly To Do List for 08/11/2020

Storm at Sea:  Press and clean up quilt top


Using a white background means removing any dark threads from the back of the top.  This is always such a job, but you get a much nicer looking final quilt. It's worth the effort.  Christmas Mystery is a finished flimsy and Frolic will likely be by the end of the week. This one needs to go out for quilting before I make backings for those two. SAS is a queen sized quilt, bigger than the throw/twin size that I normally make.  I'm just dreading how much work that's going to be. Having two more quilts so close to finishing is helping with the motivation to get this quilt moving along. Since Frolic is a dark background, it won't be so hard to clean up.  

Frolic: Finish adding borders


The quilt plan calls for a finally skinny border of black to float the flying geese.  One of the four borders is sewn on, so just three more to attach.  

Unity: Finish step 3, make Friendship Stars for step 4


The Sawtooth Stars are all made.  All that's left of step 3 is to sew the last set of 10 star blocks together and attach them to the top, then add the plain border strips. Stitching the HSTs needed for the Friendship Stars has been my leaders and enders project for the last few days and I'll continue with that till I finish step 3. I may not get this one checked off for the week, but there should be good progress.

That's my list for the week.  You can find more lists over To Do Tuesday hosted by Home Sewn By Us.  Good luck with your to do list this week.  

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

Nothing like an extra day or two to help a quilter along. I didn't realize how big SAS is. Is it for your own bed? or? It really is wonderful. I realized recently that you have a great sense of color. I aways like your quilts -- I think the bold colors draw me in. Good luck (and lots of determination) to get through your To Do list this week.

Cheree @ The Morning Latte said...

All three are moving along and looking great. I hate having to trim up all those dark threads--have started just getting the majority and then doing the rest as it's getting quilted on the longarm because somehow more always show up by the time I get it loaded anyway. It's kind of a pain but at least I get them all. (I flip the top up after every few rows of quilting).

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Kate! WOWEE - you got SaS back all ready to go?!! Woot woot! That is celebration worthy. Good job, Buddy, as my two-year-old nephew would say (with a quite proud voice). Thanks for linking up today. ~smile~ Roseanne

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Yay for Staycations!! and yay ( maybe) for a return to school!

piecefulwendy said...

Do you have a trick to make the clean up quicker? I've been covered in thread lately with all the piecing I've been doing. Looks great on my black pants - ha! Glad you were able to spend time with your SIT, plus get some good sewing time in. You've had a good week!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I've learned the hard way how important it is to clean up all those threads when you have a white background. It's a big job, but you'll get it done, I know! Your projects are really coming along!

AnnieO said...

Good work and plan! How exciting to get another quilt sent out and ready to come back all beautifully finished.

Preeti said...

Oh those pesky dark threads on the white background -ARGHHH!!!
I am looking forward to Frolic. So close. Wishing you good luck in your sewing endeavors and do stay safe, Kate.

dq said...

You are definitely moving right along with these projects! I like that you kept your list short so as to achieve what you really wanted!

Jennifer said...

You can do it! Hope the cleanup goes quickly so you can get it on it’s way.