Monday, July 15, 2019

Odds and Ends Stitching

Not ready for it to be Monday.  We've been gone at least part of the last two weekends, so mount laundry needed to be worked down to hill size this weekend.  Plus a few household chores really needed to get done.  I did get in a fairly solid afternoon of stitching on Sunday.  

I've found the backing for Vintage Dresses, but it needs to be pressed.  I just wasn't up for that.  The sewing room is on the northwest corner of the house, so it gets pretty warm in there in the afternoons and spending much time with the iron just isn't pleasant.  Sitting at the sewing machine was a much cooler option. 


So I made progress on three other projects.  The green and dark blue blocks are for the pieced border on Storm at Sea.  There are three "sizing" borders before the pieced one and I've gotten a good start on adding border number two. 

Storm at Sea
Paper Piecing Class by Carrie Randell (Quilter's Hideaway)

The first border is white, the second is the dark blue. There will be one more skinny white border before the pieced border goes on.  Hopefully by the time I get to that point, I'll have all the blocks ready to go.  

Strip sets and 4-patches for the Simply Sensational Scrappy Summer Quilt were also in the works.  I'm up to about 20 blocks there. 

 Simply Sensational Summer Scrap Quilt
Designed by Kevin the Quilter 

The mystery calls for 240, so I've got a ways to go.  This project is definitely making a dent in my blue strips. It seems I have a lot of blue scraps in terms of yardage, but not in diversity.  I've not raided the fat quarter drawer yet. That's probably on tap this week when I don't have as much time to stitch in the evenings, then I'll be ready to stitch up a few more next weekend.   

The third set of blocks are for my rainbow version of Wild and Goosey.  Each block has 13 pieces, so that's been slow going, so no new pictures of that project.  

Linking up with Main Crush Monday, Monday Making, and the Monday Design Wall. I hope to check in on what's up on everyone else's design wall this evening.

11 comments:

Nann said...

Laundry does pile up, doesn't it? I looked up Kevin the Quilter's project -- start with 800 squares of color #1. Sounds easy! Your array of blues is great.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Pressing a backing for a quilt is never my favorite task! I would definitely choose time at the machine over that chore! Fun to see your progress on Storm at Sea - it's going to be beautiful.

piecefulwendy said...

Prepping backing for quilts is one thing that takes me forever; I keep putting it off. My quilt room is in the lower level of our house, so it's great in the summer -- nice and cool. Not so great in the winter -- too cool! Love your retro dresses quilt!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh No the squirrels are digging in my flower barrel--now where was I--
oh--ironing large quilt backings are a big pain--esp if all one has is a regular sized ironing board--and I have always seemed to iron more 'wrinkles in' that out when I iron whether a large item or a small one!!!!
did you watch the Sat night race??
liv, di
gotta go out and see if they dug up my flowers, too bad!!!!!????

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your Storm at sea is going to be so amazing! and yay for the 4 patch progress!

Jay said...

I can hardly tear my eyes away from your Storm at Sea. It's just beautiful. I'll be making one with Marti Michel templates -- hope it's not too awful!

The Joyful Quilter said...

It feels SEW good when progress has been made. Your Storm at Sea is going to be gorgeous!!

Rebecca Grace said...

You're not ready for Monday? I'm not ready for JUNE yet, and here we are halfway through July. My son gets deposited at college in less than 5 weeks... YIKES!

I am enthralled with your Storm at Sea! That is one that I have always wanted to make. I even bought fabric for a baby sized version but then other projects intervened, as they do, and that box got tucked away and buried in a corner of my studio. I really need to get more organized and intentional about which projects I really want to work on, you know? Well, I look forward to seeing more of YOUR Storm at Sea because it will be awhile before I'm able to start mine.

Stay cool, and happy stitching!

chrisknits said...

At least you are making progress! Hope you find more time to sew.

Preeti said...

The Storm at Sea is stunning already!!! Wishing you good luck in your laundry battles :-)

Emily said...

Love Storm At Sea and that blue border looks great!