Saturday, March 30, 2019

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Slow Progress

It's been slow going on this year's scrappy project.  I've wanted to make a version of Bonnie Hunter's Wild and Goosey since I first saw it.  It seemed like a good scrappy project.  It is, but those little blocks aren't a quick assembly.  So my progress on each month's color for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge has been pretty underwhelming.  But as it's the last Saturday in the first quarter of 2019, it seemed like a good time to report on the progress so far.  

For March, there's one green block finished.



The darker greens look much brighter up on the design wall.  I've done a bit better with January's red and February's yellow blocks.



Seven red blocks, 2 yellow and 1 green is the sum total of scrappy stitching so far.  I'm still trying to decide on a final layout of the blocks. That's needed to determine how many of each color to make.  Here's the two front runners. 



This is My Guy's favorite.  He likes the warmer colors in the middle.  My favorite has the warmer colors at the edges. 



Either layout needs at least 16 blocks of each color, so I can keep making blocks till I get to that point. At that point, I will have to pick a final layout. Looking at what's been made to date, it will be a few more months before I have to decide between these two or come up with something else completely.  

Linking up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and with Oh Scrap.  Happy scrappy stitching this weekend.  

14 comments:

Marly said...

You may be slow this year; but I'm even slower! I haven't made any RSC blocks yet. I like the mix of fabrics you're using. Good luck with making more green geese blocks.

Julie in GA said...

Your Wild and Goosey blocks are looking beautiful! Both layout plans look great, but I'm with your guy in preferring the warm colors at the center.

maggie fellow said...

I spent acouple of years on wild and goosey. I like the yellow in the center layout, but, then, yellow is my favorite color. But it will be beautiful either way.

The Joyful Quilter said...

What a wonderful selection of GREEN scraps were used in your RSC block! It fits in nicely with the others. Those layout options are phenomenal!!!

Janice Holton said...

oH MY GOODNESS!! That is a lot of pieces! But it is going to look spectacular when it's done. You certainly can't go wrong with a rainbow setting no matter which order you choose. I liked the warm colors in the center, but it's totally good either way. How are you going to make your decision? :)

Stitchedinlayers said...

Love where you are going!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love your wild and goosey blocks - and either layout idea will be beautiful! It would take me a long time to make as many as you need, too!

Julie said...

Both these blocks and your Storm at Sea are favorites of mine, too. I really enjoy seeing your reversal layouts of warm vs. cool. I think I'm drawn more toward the second also. It seems more traditional in a sense. Kudos to you for using up the scraps. I'm not sure it's ever a done job--much like dusting. sigh.

Katie Z. said...

Your blocks are fabulous! Who cares if they take forever? That just means they won’t clamor for a finish any time soon while you work on all your other great finishes. How’s the weather this weekend? It’s nippy up here.

gayle said...

Oh, that's going to be soooo gorgeous, whichever setting you go for! Wow!

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Wow, whatever layout your choose, it's going to be a beauty!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love these blocks! It will certainly be a great quilt, there's no rush, good things take time, yes? The 'wild & goosey' pattern appealed to me too, but I must admit, all those little pieces put me off!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I don't think you can go wrong with either layout. That is going to be amazing!

Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Jennifer said...

I love the color block layout for these blocks, but I will have to side with your husband and vote for the warms in the middle. I worked on mine from last year yesterday and made some good progress. Still lots to go, but the basic layout is ready for some piecing of blocks!