Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Daisy Chain Mystery Quilt Along - Ready to Stitch

I'm a fan of mysteries in any medium; books, movies and quilt alongs.  Some mysteries start off with a bang, others start off quietly allowing you to get to know the characters as the mystery unfolds.  Mystery quilt alongs have that slow build, first you develop your characters (select your fabrics) and then you begin the character development (cutting those fabrics).  Alison released the cutting instructions for the Daisy Chain Mystery Quilt Along yesterday. 

 
I'm making the throw sized quilt so it didn't take me too long to develop my cast for the mystery. 


The beige in the upper left is my setting, the black paisley is the protagonist, the red check is the foil and the tan/brown fabrics are the rest of the supporting cast.  Alison suggested not cutting all your coordinating strips so you can select which colors you want to use as you go along.  I have two coordinating prints that I'm not sure how they will work with the  rest of the quilt. 


I didn't cut either of these.  I'm waiting to see how those supporting fabrics are used and if they really blend with the rest of the fabrics.  I may end up using the rose print as a border if it doesn't end up as a coordinate in the quilt.  Another thing to like about mystery quilt alongs is that you can choose your own ending.  

Like any good mystery, I can't wait to see what's next.  It's two more weeks till clue three, so you've got plenty of time to catch up.  The Daisy Chain Mystery fabric requirements are posted here.  I hope you'll play along because it's fun to see how different settings and characters affect the end result.  

6 comments:

Alison V. said...

This is going to look so beautiful! I really like the subtle variation between your scrappy fabrics -- I think that'll look really beautiful just those five, but having the option to mix in extra fabrics is also always a good choice! I think the rose print would be a great border too.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

nice!! The colors are so pretty together!

Tu-Na Quilts said...

I love how you drew the analogy of a mystery quilt to a mystery book. Kind of like a choose your own adventure. I've started several of these and never make it past picking the list of characters. There are so many possibilities and I keep finding new characters that would be better and pretty soon clue two comes out and then three and I'm no closer to hiring than I was before. My fear is that they won't play nicely in the end and I'll be left with an uninteresting plot. But your characters are so well-chosen. I think this will be an interesting one to follow. Cheers to you!!!

Marti said...

I love your characters! lol I love paisley though and glad it drew the role of protagonist. I have a couple of those beige fabrics and have never figured out a good use for them, so I'm curious to see how you use them. Have fun with your mystery.

Emily said...

I love how you are describing your fabrics! Protagonist, supporting characters...brilliant! These will look great!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Looks like a great cast of characters for your mystery! I think any quilt would look good in those fabrics. Sounds like a fun project! I hope you enjoy it!