Sunday, April 2, 2017

The Weekly Stash Report - Week 13 (A 2017 Ambition Update Too)

Hard to believe the first quarter of 2017 is already gone.  It's been a busy year at work and at home.  But I think things are going pretty well on the home front. Back in December of 2016, I put together a list of my quilting ambitions for 2017 and then linked up with
Quilting JetGirl's  2017 Planning Party.  Since we are at the end of the first quarter I wanted to see how well (or not well) my sewing room time reflected my ambitions for the year.  I'll start with the stash report so you can stop reading after that if you aren't interested in the rest.  

Quilting Ambition #3:  Manage the Stash/Organize the sewing room

Used this week:  0.93 yards
Used year to date:  21.58 yards
Added year to date:  76.3 yards
Net added: 54.72 yards

My goal this year is to use 70 yards of fabric. That means I need to use at least 17.5 yards per quarter.  So I'm on track there.  There isn't a specific goal on fabric acquisition this year.  The plan is always to use more than comes in.  I'll have to exceed my original goal to make that happen this year.  Even with that, I'm pretty happy about where things stand with the stash management at this point.  

I've not done so well on organizing the sewing room first quarter.  I'll blame that on being so focused on finishing the graduation quilts. I have done some clean up of the stash closet, but not as much as I'd like.  There is still a pile of scraps that needs to be cut to size and sorted.  So that's an area for improvement this quarter.  




That's it for the stash report this week. I'm linking up with Patchwork Times for the Weekly Stash Report.  If you are curious about how the rest of my sewing room ambitions are going read on.    
Quilting Ambition #1:  Finish a Few Quilts

Two finished.  


Poinsettias and Bejeweled were finished in March
Poinsettias by Judy Blok for the December 2013 issue
of American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine
Bejeweled from "All About Strips" by Susan Guzman

I'm on track here.  Other than finishing up the three graduation quilts due by May, there's no requirement to finish a set number this year.  I'll be happy with whatever gets finished. 


Quilting Ambition #2:  Participate in Challenges and Mystery Quilts

The Rainbow Scrap Challenge project for 2017 has been started.  



There are two other mystery quilt alongs on the list that don't start until later in the year.  So I'm on track here. 

Quilting Ambition #4:  Make Time to Sew

The goal is to spend at least 15 minutes each day stitching.  So far for 2017 I've found time every day this year.  That is 91 out of 91 days so far.  That's definitely a record! 

Quilting Ambition #5:  Work on Blogging Skills

I've blogged at least 3 times per week this year.  That was one goal under this heading.  I've written one tutorial so far.  The goal is four for the year.  The last piece of this is to improve my photography skills.  Not sure what I was thinking when I added that goal. That goal needs a bit more thought.  On the other hand it's generic enough that I can make anything fit there.  Even with that, I'm OK with where I'm at here.  

Not a bad start to 2017.  Hopefully once the forced march on the graduation quilts is done, there will be more time to focus on some of the stash organization goals. It may seem strange to have goals around a hobby. It works for me.  I'm not sure why, but I'm just more motivated if there's a plan for the year.  

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think you are doing great! My life has done a complete 180 six months ago with the lose of my wonderful DH. I got married at 17 and after 34 yrs of marriage I find myself learning to stand on my own two feet. Quilting has had to take a back seat to finding a job, dealing with all the paperwork involved and just plain grieving. I have started to slowly find my quilting room again. I have followed your blog for several years and thoroughly enjoy it. Yours and a few others have kept me in touch with my love for quilting. My DH would want me to continue to quilt. Thank you for an always uplifting place to come.

Shauna said...

I think you are doing great with your goals.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Looks to me like you are really on a steady progress here for your goals--
I always do well in Jan/ Feb, and March--but then something happens and I slow down--I do hope that doesn't happen to either of us this year--(though it may take me the rest of the year to finish the spring cleaning??)--
so keep on stitching--
enjoy each moment too--diane

Janice Holton said...

Good for you for 91 out of 91! That is an accomplishment! I would like to improve my pictures too but mostly in the imagination department. Better staging. I usually just click a pic right where things lay with not a lot of thought put into them. I could definitely use some improvement there. :) What kind of improvements do you want to make?

Stephanie said...

I like your plan, especially the idea of focusing on actually *using* the stash, I need to do this! I do find it's hard to both organize + be actively making a lot of stuff though, that's a challenge for sure.

Denise :) said...

I'd say your 2017 is off to a stellar start! I love this year's rainbow challenge blocks ... very striking and fun. The quilt room management is so tough. It's hard to be in the throes of creative genius and stay on top of the quilt room at the same time. Especially when you're trying to get stitching time in every day!!! :)

Susan said...

You mentioned cutting scraps to usable size...... I am in need of doing that but I am always hung up on what sizes to cut....

Jennifer said...

I agree with you on setting goals for a hobby - it keeps me more focused when I don't know what to do next, and sharing them publicly has a little bit of accountability built in. Looks like you're making good progress on all the goals!