Monday, February 1, 2016

Weekend Stitching - What's Next for February?

Thankfully I felt much better on Sunday. Not 100%, but I could at least breathe through one nostril and the fever broke.  Laundry was priority number one, but I was able to get some significant time in the sewing room Sunday afternoon.  

I seem to be most productive when I've got 3 to 4 projects going. With McCall's Mystery just needing some pressing before it can go out for quilting, it was time to find something to add to the current project rotation.  I'd put Midnight Mystery aside when I ran out of design wall space.  Since it's not that far from being done, I went searching for all the block parts.  After locating all of those and consulting the instructions, I realized I had missed a step somewhere along the line and would have to assemble a few block parts.  That didn't stop me from getting the rows assembled for the first block. 


Midnight Mystery Quilt, From Meadow Mist Designs

You never know what you'll get when you pick your fabrics for a mystery.  I was really beginning to worry that the tulip fabric was going to be way out of place.  I like how it looks in the final block.  Some of the star points may get lost, but I don't think that will distract from the quilt overall.   I still need to stitch the rows together to finish this first block, but I'll get to that tonight.  

There are 8 full blocks and 2 half blocks to finish for the Midnight Mystery.  I still need to finish 18 blocks for Allietare.  Since February is a short month, I'd have a better chance of finishing up the Midnight Mystery quilt, especially since all the block pieces are made, I just need to assemble the blocks.  Can't say that about Allietare.  So my One Monthly Goal for February is to get the Midnight Mystery blocks sewn together into a flimsy.  That should be doable.  

Linking up with:

Red Letter Quilts for the February One Monthly Goal
Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday
Love Laugh Quilt for Monday Making
Cooking up Quilts for Main Crush Monday

14 comments:

Lisa J. said...

It looks great. I'm in about the same place as you and wondering if that should be my goal as well.

Libby in TN said...

That is such an interesting block. Looks a lot more complicated than it is.

Barbara said...

Wow. That's gorgeous. I have that same center fabric. So pretty.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Good luck on finishing the Midnight Mystery top. I love all the ones I've seen, the pattern is great. I'm glad you are feeling a bit better and were able to get a lot of sewing done!

Mary said...

Your Midnight Mystery block is lovely. I don't know when I'm going to get back to mine. I still have to make the courthouse step blocks. Take care, Mary.

Marti said...

I remember that center fabric! Looks like a good one to finish in a short month. I'm sorry you've been sick, that's never good for quilting or anything else.

Cheryl said...

Your mystery quilt block looks great! I love the floral as the center fabric.

Bonnie said...

That is a cool block and no one would realize you did it as a mystery. I, too, am looking for a "doable" project for my OMG goal in February. I'm thinking of pulling out a quilt top and have quilting and binding it the goal. I should be able to succeed with that although I'll be out of town a bit this month.

Lara B. said...

Nothing like getting sick to slow you down... ugh! Hope you get all the way better soon.
I love the boldness of your fabric choices - it is going to be a fabulous quilt when you get it all together Kate!

Emily said...

Oooh, I love those tulips as the center! Can't wait to see it when it's a whole field of tulips!

Jennifer Fulton Inquiring Quilter said...

Your fabrics look great in the mystery. I'm not a big fan of mysteries for that reason--I'm always afraid my fabric choices won't work out. But yours certainly have, very nicely! You've got a great monthly goal for February. Looking forward to the finish.

Katie Z. said...

I love the block! Your fabrics work splendidly.

Jennifer said...

Your block looks great! I am doing the mystery too and was doubting my fabrics too, but love it now that I have the top together!

Quiltsmiles said...

Wonderful report, beautiful block and how great it is that you are making time every day to sew and get into your studio. Thanks for the inspiration.