Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Mid-Week WIPS

What is your definition of a WIP?   Is it related to what your definition of a UFO is?  I'm truly curious about what counts and what doesn't.  Why?  Well this year I'm attempting to blog a bit more during the middle of the week.  There are a number of linkies for WIPs, such as WIP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced and WIPS on Wednesday over at Esther's Blog.  Plus there is WIPs Be Gone on Fridays at A Quilting Reader's Garden.  

So what counts as a WIP and how is it different from a UFO?  According to Wikipedia,  WIPs (work in progress) "are partially finished goods waiting for completion.  A work in progress requires storage space...".  That definition pretty much applies to my UFOs as well (by the way  Wikipedia does not list a quilting related definition of a UFO).  My definition of a WIP is anything that I've started and not finished in the last calendar year.  A UFO is any project that remains unfinished past that calendar year. At the moment I only have four WIPs if I apply my definition.  Those include: 

Poinsettias (My Let's Book It, as well as, my current leaders and enders project)



Poinsettias
By Judy Blok for the December 2013 issue
of American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine























Grand Illusion, Bonnie Hunter's 2014 Mystery quilt that's up on my  small design wall for now,


Grand Illusion
A Bonnie Hunter Mystery












and Twinkle Stars, which is this year's Rainbow Scrap Challenge Project.  


Twinkle Stars
Tutorial by Andrea Feldbush of Soscrappy





























Chocolate Marshmallows, which has been what I've been featuring in the few WIP posts I've done.  Since I last posted, block 8 has been finished.


Chocolate Marshmallows
pattern by Amanda Bergamin of Sea Breeze Quilts




























So I'm caught up on all the blocks through December. 


Chocolate Marshmallows
pattern by Amanda Bergamin of Sea Breeze Quilts




























For some reason the pinks in these blocks is really hard to get right in the lighting conditions in my sewing room, they really are much brighter in real life.  Block 9 is cut out and awaiting assembly.  Blocks 11 and 12 come out next week, but hopefully I'll be finished with the blocks from January by then.  I should really start working on the setting for these 12 blocks.  

Hopefully all the progress on these WIPs will keep them from becoming UFOs.  

11 comments:

Lynne said...

Yes, the two terms are very much related for me! I think last year I defined WIP as anything I had worked on (even mentally, as in wrestled with the next step) in the past three months; otherwise it was a UFO. Now my definition is looser -- if it's out, waiting for me to do something, it's a WIP! LOL

Julie in GA said...

I also have trouble figuring out the difference between WIP and UFO. Like you, I tend to consider my more recently started projects as WIPs, and the oldies are UFOs. But if I am actively working on a UFO, does it then move into the WIP group? So confusing!
Good luck with your projects; they are looking so lovely.

MartiDIY said...

LOL, I've been thinking of this myself lately. Sematics I guess, but personally, if it is on my design board and I am working on it, even if periodically, it's a WIP. If I put it away to finish at another time, it has become a UFO. BTW, I really, really like your Twinkle Stars.

Larri said...

Ooh...I like the sound of WIPs better than UFOs. Makes it seem as though I'm actually sewing & progressing that way. ;)

Especially love your Twinkle Stars, but honestly...everything you stitch is gorgeous.
Happy Sewing, Kate!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

For own purposes unfinished WIPs become UFOs at year end. But my WIP Wednesday reports are about whatever I'm working on. I look forward to the day when I have so few that I can call them all the same! All of your projects are great... The Twinkle Stars really shine.

Chris said...

Very good question indeed. I consider UFOs the projects in boxes in my great big storage cupboard that are not complete for various reasons like not enough fabric, lost patterns, trying to figure out the next step or no longer like but intend to compete some day.
I consider WIPs the projects that I am currently working and in project boxes in my quilt room and in my face daily.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

to me a WIP is something that I am working on almost constantly throughout the year(s) until it is done - a UFO is something that was started and put aside without touching for a very long time and might never be finished.

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Yes I agree with most earlier comments re WiP's ... they are 'works' that I am wanting to/ thinking of or actually mid-flight sewing! But, maybe for me personally, a UFO is what it is, an unfinished object - and likely to remain that way- {sadly} forever!! Love your Chocolate marshmallows blocks! Linda

LA Paylor said...

whatever they're called they are piling up around here! At least they are quiet. LeeAnna at not afraid of color

Shay said...

For me , a WIP is anything that isnt finished. So is a UFO but I use the terms interchangeably.

4 WIP’s isnt bad at all – in fact I think that’s quite manageable. Its been so long since I spent any time sewing that I had to go to my blog to find out how many WIP’s I have. 5 – I have 5 ...and I desperately need to make some progress on some of them. Good Luck with yours!

Vivian said...

Funny, I came for your organization post but stayed for this one! You really made me think: for purposes of weekly sew-time planning or recording a finish, my definitions for WIP (current year UFO) and UFO (prior year UFO) are the same as yours.

However, I realize that when I list them on my blog, it's more about defining priorities: on there a WIP is a project that I really want to complete in the near future, a WISP (work in slow progress) is a project I want to finish but have no specific plans to work on any time soon and a UFO is something that while I haven't yet abandoned it completely, I also haven't actively thought about working on it in a very long time. I also record finished tops (Flimsies) separately since I see that as a different issue/priority from something still needing piecing. Whew!