Friday, January 11, 2013

Favorite Things Friday - Starting Something New

Favorite Things Friday with Mrs. P over at Quilting in my Pyjamas is back!  FTF is always a fun way to end the week and get off to a good start for the weekend.  I'm definitely ready to get back into this fun habit.  My first favorite thing for 2013 is starting a new quilt project, especially one that I've wanted to make for a while.  Back in 2006 I saw this quilt in The Quilter Magazine.

Fat Cats
The Quilter Magazine (July 2006)
by Lucy A. Fazely and Micheal L. Burns

I immediately had this vision of making it, but with the cats done in calico florals in a blue setting.  It took a couple of years to accumulate all the right fabrics.   On Monday, I scanned all those fabrics into EQ and played (another favorite thing).  Finally coming coming up with the final fabric selections and a preliminary lay out. 


The original pattern is written to use a pair of white and black fat quarters to make two cats.  Since I was using a common background, I needed to come up with strip cutting instructions to produce all the pieces needed to make 20 blocks.   Using the rotary cutting instructions from EQ, I was able to come up with the number and sizes of strips that needed to be cut.


This does involve quilt math, but I like playing with numbers (except when my quilt math is wrong, then it's not fun).  

Last night I got most of the background pieces cut (Confession:  cutting out the pieces for a new project is really not one of my favorite things, it ranks almost as low as unsewing something).


Now I just need to pick one of the floral fabrics, get it cut and make the first block.  There is nothing quite like working on and finishing that first block of a new project.  It can be both frustrating and exciting as you navigate those instructions for the first time and realize that either you have no clue how this is supposed to go together or it's a complete breeze. 

Another favorite thing this week is that Kate over Katie Mae Quilts is also making a cat themed quilt, so we decided that we are definitely going to cheer each other on with a Kats with Kate joint quilt along.   Since this quilt needs to be done by May, I'm hoping Kate will help keep me motivated and moving on this project.  

That's it for me this Friday.  Check out all the other favorite things over at Quilting in my Pyjamas   

9 comments:

Lynne said...

It's a cute quilt for sure!

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

I love their little bow ties! Cutting is not my favorite either... I'm always afraid of messing up. I think I use that as my excuse to never cut everything I need for a quilt but instead cut as I go.

Barbara said...

Oh now that is just too cute!

Shay said...

Completely loving the blog changes you’ve made over here Kate. It’s totally you. That whimsical butterfly is a beauty.

I really like your version of the Cat Quilt . In my opinion its better than the original colour layout. And another thing we agree on is that a new project is always a favourite thing. Very exciting. Im not sure though that I could collect fabrics for that long before actually starting a project! Once I have an idea Im itching to get started.

Great to see you back this year . Im looking forward to seeing lots of your favourite things in 2013.

Marti said...

That will be such a cute quilt. I have a rabbit quilt I'd like to make in calicos.

seabreezequilts said...

Love a new quilt project, problem is I have too many lol. You are very methodical with your cutting and organising block pieces I try to be but usually end up in a big mess.

Kevin the Quilter said...

Cool cats!

thea said...

I've thought of making a cat quilt. Definitely like this one. I will enjoy watching it come together.

Denise :) said...

Don't you love putting EQ to use? I love it! I like the math part, too. And I dislike the cutting part as well. Your cat quilt in blue is so beautiful!! :)