Monday, March 14, 2011

Design Wall Monday - March 14, 2011

It's Monday, which means it's time to show what's up on the design wall. I didn't do as much sewing as I had wanted this weekend.  I wasn't feeling very well on Saturday and yesterday Kiddo took a turn for the worse.  Ended up taking her to the immediate care center.  Thankfully she doesn't have strep, just some type of respiratory infection.  So she's on antibiotics and was much better by last night.   

So what did get done?  I took some time to clean up the sewing room a bit and switched the location of a bookcase and secretary desk so the space would work better.  I also finished block 10 of the Moose on the Porch Layer Cake Quilt Along.



I like how this block came out.  I need to pull all the blocks out and look at them together, I haven't done that in a few weeks.

So what's next?  Last week I finished up block 12 of the Buck-a-Block BOM, but I don't have a setting yet that I like.  So that one is going to have to simmer a bit while I play with layouts and fabric choices in EQ.   I am going to start a new quilt this month, but I need to tweak the design.  There is not enough fabric for the borders as it's set up now.  Looking over what's left in my UFO pile, I decided to pull out the sister quilt to the 2008 BOM I just finished.  



I've posted several blogs about the two 2008 BOM quilts (Story of 12 Quilts - Part 1, Part 2 and Part 3).  The 2008 BOM was a "brown bag" BOM.  Each participant put fabrics in a grocery sack and each month your sack went home with a different quilter who made a block from only the fabrics that were in the bag.  The only restriction was that the blocks had to be 12.5".  The above blocks include the 9 blocks that were in my brown bag at the end of the 12 months, plus three I made.  The little green stickies in the picture are notes on how big I need to make framing strips for each block.  Not all the blocks finish at 12.5 inches, some are as much as 0.5 inches short.  I'll use the framing strips to get consistent sized blocks before I set them together. 

That's it for me this week.  Check over at Judy's Patchwork Times to see more design walls. 

12 comments:

Teaquilts said...

Love all the sampler blocks. I get bored quickly and making diferent blocks is like starting new projects.

Shay said...

I've never done a smapler block quilt before. Maybe I'll have to think about that too since teaquilts makes a good point.

Love your QAL block this time around Kate. It's pretty!

Chris said...

Your LC block turned out great. I love the teal color.

It is always frustrating to get blocks from others that are not the right size, but I think it is the nature of the beast when we do swaps. I have yet to get all correct blocks in any swap. They are all beautiful blocks though :)

Vicki H. said...

Looks great and my fav is the layer cake quilt along block. The fabrics are great!!

SpinningStar said...

Thank goodness for framing strips to even things out!

Hope you and kiddo are feeling better.

liz

Marti said...

I love the Layer Cake block. It looks like a tulip. And what a good idea to mark your BOM blocks so you know how to make them all even.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

The blocks look wonderful. I love the tulit too!

Hope the patient is better now.

glen

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Your blocks look great - hope everyone is healed now!

Quilter Kathy said...

I like the new block...have to get to sewing it :)
I really like your pink and green blocks...very pretty!

Gari in AL said...

I really like your LQ block. I pulled out fabrics for mine this afternoon but wasn't inspired so left it for tomorrow morning. And your Bown Bag blocks remind me of when I put either swap blocks or BOM blocks on the wall: what to do, what to do. Eventually inspiration comes, eventually.

Deanna said...

Those blues are beautiful against the red and green--wonderful!

Keep Stitchin' said...

Looks like you've been really busy. I like the sampler one, the colors are really nice. The tulip block is really cute!