Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Trouble with BOMs

My local quilt shop doesn't offer a lot of night classes, but for 2 years they did offer a monthly BOM on Thursday nights.  The last BOM series called for us to bring in a brown paper bag containing at least 2 to 3 yards of at least 2 different fabrics to the first meeting.  We then went home that night with someone's bag of fabric with instructions to make a block that finished to 12".  I decided to make a practice block out of my own fabric before I cut into the fabric in the bag. 

So thus was born my second BOM for that year.  I chose a second set of fabric to make these "practice" blocks from.  I decided to pick only blocks that had a center square in them and worked my way up from simpler blocks to blocks with lots of pieces in them by the end of the year.  It was interesting to see how my fabric choices looked compared to the fabrics in the bag of the month.  Talk about a lesson in color theory.  The bags contained everything from just black and white, 1930 reproduction fabrics, bright\ yellow with orange, to one bag that had only white, solid blue and a black with blue print. 

This was in 2008 and I've been trying to figure out how to set my "practice" blocks so I can finish the quilt.  I've been playing around with designs over the last 2 years.  Here's what I've come up with:


Version A


Version B















Version C















Version D























I'm pretty sure I know which layout I want to use.  Which one do you like?

3 comments:

Quiltsmiles said...

Versions A & D appeal to me. It will be interesting to see which one you choose. Jane

Tamera said...

Version D is cool, but the blocks seem lost.

Version A is really cool. It highlights the blocks, but it has other things going on, too.

Gari in AL said...

Oh, I really like version D: probably because it is bigger and there is more motion.