Monday, August 19, 2019

A Bit of This and That

It was a get through it week and weekend.  The Scientist in Training headed back to college to sign a new lease on her apartment and help her roommate move in. Then she promptly came down with what appears to have been a nasty stomach virus. Poor girl, she was finally able to eat without feeling miserable last night.  She should be able to get to all her classes today (fingers crossed on that). On my end it was a weekend of texting her home remedies and commiserating on just how miserable it is to be sick when you are not home.  

The reorg of the sewing room continued this weekend.  Step one was to deal with the purchased patterns.  Last weekend they all got stuck one binder just to get them off my desk, but they weren't organized.  After organizing by general project type, it took two binders to contain that collection. 


Now a pattern can be located without flipping through a whole notebook to locate it.  I really do need to finish up a few UFOs, there are some really fun patterns I'd like to make. 

A marathon ironing session moved some of the washed fabrics out of the to be pressed bin and into the fabric closet so they can be readily used. 


I prewash my fabrics, so there's always a stack that needs pressing before they can be put away.  This pile is about half of what was in the bin. 

There was a bit of stitching this weekend.  The third round of borders have been added to Storm at Sea. 

Storm at Sea
Paper Piecing Class by Carrie Randell (Quilter's Hideaway)

The fourth border will be pieced. I'm still working on stitching the big blue diamonds, all the green square in a square blocks are ready.  So construction on this project will slow down for now. 

I still need to prep Vintage Dresses, that's my August One Monthly goal. Good thing there is still one full weekend and one partial weekend in August.  There is still time for me to get it done.  

Linking up with the usual Monday linky parties. 

Monday Making
Design Wall Monday
Main Crush Monday 

20 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I wash my fabrics, too, but I have found that wrinkles appear as if by magic while the fabric resides on the shelf (sometimes for years) so I wait till I'm ready to use it before pressing.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

You're making great progress in your cleanup! I'm heading to the sewing room to clean and organize today again.

Barbara said...

Storm at Sea is looking gorgeous!

Katie Z. said...

I’m so sorry about SiT. What a yucky way to start the year.

Your Storm at Sea looks fabulous.

Good luck on the continued organization. I’ve been picking up here at there, but I don’t have quite the energy to tidy as I would like.

Nann said...

What a striking colorway for your SAS! Is your daughter a senior this year? (Goes to show how long I've been following your blog.) Your organizing project seems to be going very well. Did you find any surprises among the patterns when you filed them?

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Love seeing Storm at Sea again, Kate - it's just beautiful! Good for you, doing all that organizing, too. I always find things I had forgotten all about when I'm doing that! Hope the stomach virus is short lived for your SIT.

AnnieO said...

Lots of time in the sewing room, yay! August sure seemed to come early, sorry your daughter caught a bug. Looking forward to seeing your dresses quilt all quilted.

Jayne said...

I go back and forth on washing my fabrics! But I love to iron them after a wash. I'm loving how your SAS quilt is coming along. Love the borders and can't wait to see what's next!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Dang you got so much done!!! Hugs to the SIT - I hope shes up and back in action!

Bonnie said...

I must say I never considered putting the commercial patterns in plastic sleeves and into a binder. It makes great sense. If I'm ever motivated again to clean or organize I think I'll give that a try. I have too many places that I stash those patterns. Congrats on making great headway on your organizing.

Michelle said...

I’m sorry your daughter was sick. Hope she’s in the clear now. The Storm at Sea quilt is absolutely gorgeous!

Debbie said...

Home sickness coupled with sickness: not a good combination. Moms just make it all better. Hopefully it was just a quick bug. But I love your storm at sea. The color pattern is wonderful. Good luck on continued piecing.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Having all your patterns in binders is a great idea. I did that to mine a few years ago and it does make them so much easier to find the one I'm looking for. I'm not a pre-washer, I'm impressed that you wash and press before using. I'm always too impatient to cut into the fabrics! LOL

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I need to print off my purchase e-file patterns (in case I lose the computer) and put them in binders like you. I have so many computer files, I forget where things are. Your SAS is just striking. I only prewash 'bleeder' fabrics, but I do wash completed quilts.

Rebecca Grace said...

We moved our firstborn son into his freshman dorm at Appalachian State last Friday -- so I've been having a "get through it" kind of week, too. Sorry to hear your daughter's school year started off with a stomach virus! I have a binder of projects like what you're doing, too. Mostly they are things I tore out of Quilter's Newsletter Magazine but set aside because I knew I had nowhere near the skills needed to attempt them, but I'm ALMOST THERE now; I should revisit! I was also recently gifted back issues of QNM from 1986-1997, so I'll be going through those one by one and saving any patterns that catch my fancy. I will probably need a second binder, or maybe a third one... :-). If only I had six lifetimes, so I could sew all of the quilts on my bucket list! I sure hope there are sewing machines in heaven! Your Storm at Sea is beautiful, by the way -- that's definitely a pattern I want to make someday.

Angie in SoCal said...

Storm at Sea i fantabulous. I don't wash my fabric at this time. I wash at the end of the process with plenty of Shout Color catchers in the washer.

Emily said...

I realized recently that I need to start binders for my patterns. You've made a lot of progress! Love the pieced border on Storm at Sea!

Jennifer said...

Boo to your daughter being sick, but hooray for the continued organization. I look forward to watching you make fancy forest, might be a good RSC quilt that you could break into months. I love your storm at sea! Can’t wait to see it with the full border added.

chrisknits said...

Looks like progress is being made there. Love the stack of fabric. That looked like my ironing station when I unpacked from my shopping spree! But I finally got it put away.

seabreezequilts said...

One of the ladies in the sewing class i sometimes get to on a Thursday is doing the Jungle Elizabeth Hartman quilt. It looks amazing but just seeing all those pieces she has had to put together made me decide it is not for me.