Sunday, January 29, 2017

Stash Report - Week 4 of 2017

It's been a busy weekend around here.  Friday was a day off, unfortunately My Guy wasn't feeling too great.  I spent most of the afternoon in the sewing room.  Friday night was the kick off of the "great birthday weekend".  Drama Teen and her three best friends have birthdays within a month of each other.  One is right before Christmas and the last two were this week.  The last 4 years, they've gotten together one weekend in January to exchange gifts and then do something fun.  The sleep over was Friday night.  Then yesterday was the trek to Tulsa to do an escape room mystery, followed by lunch.  They must have had a great time, all 4 slept the whole way home!  

While the girls were unraveling their mystery, I wandered down the road a bit to the quilt shop.  I don't go very often these days due to the fabric diet.  But I'm in need of some fabrics for the last graduation quilt.  I've got lots and lots of blue in the stash, but have almost no red.  The last quilt is for DT's journalism teacher.  DT has had some wonderful high school teachers, but Ms. T is the only one she's had all 4 years.  DT requested a First Amendment quilt that could be hung in the journalism room.  Here's the mock up from EQ. 


The First Amendment Quilt by Kate

I'm going to print the first amendment on fabric and then use a newsprint for the background fabric.  I have the background, but needed a red for the stars and borders.  Here's what came home yesterday.



The two reds for the amendment quilt.  The white with the flowers and bees is perfect for a quilt that's in the planning stages.  The skulls was just for fun.  I have a niece that would love something made from that fabric.  Here's the damage for the week.

Used year to date:  9.98 yards
Added year to date:  54.3 yards
Net stashed:  54.30 yards

I'm going to need to get busy on finishing up some quilts if I want to get back in the black.  Most of what went out this week is from the backing for Bejeweled.  I need to prep the top today.  Once that's done, the project will be ready to ship out for quilting.  That's my OMG for January.  Hopefully that will get done today.  

On the stitching front, I've managed to sew for at least 15 minutes every day of 2017.  So I'm on par with where I was last year at this time. It was February that I started slipping up on sewing time.  Hopefully I can avoid that this year.  

Linking up with Patchwork Times for the weekly stash report.  

10 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Great design for the First Amendment quilt, and it will be perfect for the journalism room. Way to go on quilting for at least 15 minutes every day!

Libby in TN said...

You exercised considerable restraint. Everything has a purpose, even if only in your mind at this point. The Journalism teacher will be thrilled, I'm sure.

Tami Von Zalez said...

How cool is that? We both had patriotic fabric posts. I have to check my fabric stash to see if I have any fabric on hand that goes with the precuts I found (link below)
I love the look of your FA quilt.
http://thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Barbara said...

Love your idea for the First Amendment quilt...and so timely! When I read about DT and her friends it makes me nostalgic for having teenagers around, although I also remember that as being a two-sided coin. Anyway...what fun doing these quilts to be gifted. I always think it's more fun to make a quilt *for* someone or some special reason.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

The friendship star is perfect for the FA quilt - love the setting.

Cheryl said...

Great new fabric additions!

Kate said...

Good job getting into the sewing room daily - and even more on the restraint in the quilt shop! Very pretty reds!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Kate, your plan for the First Amendment quilt is wonderful! What a perfect gift for a journalism teacher. My sons are both journalists, so the First Amendment has a special place in my heart. I love it!

thea said...

Congrats on the 15 minutes a day .. keep it up. Love the first amendment quilt.

Tine said...

The first amendment quilt is so pretty.
15 minutes a day may sound easy, but it's really not. Not at all.
Almost as difficult as keeping the stashreport figures in the black ;-)