Sunday, January 22, 2017

Stash Management - Week 3 of 2017

We woke up to the sound of rain this morning.  It's been coming down pretty steadily since early morning.  It's supposed to be a pretty dreary day.  Definitely a good day for hanging out in the sewing room, which I just decided I'm going to do.  A sewing retreat day wasn't on the schedule, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow and I'm just not channeling laundry and housework this morning. 

I could use a whole day in the sewing room.  The "no new fabric kick" bit the dust in a really big way this week.  After surveying the bits and pieces left over after making Bejeweled, it was going to take a lot of piecing to come up with a back.  It just wasn't working out well. Connecting Threads still has most of the fabric and it's on clearance.  So Drama Teen picked one of the fabrics and I ordered that for the backing.  Actually since I really liked several of the fabrics and they were on sale, I ended up ordering several large cuts to use for backings.  


Connecting Threads ships their fabrics folded with the back on the outside.  I forgot to get a picture of them right side out, I was in a hurry to get the lighter blue ones into the wash.  Here's the damage to the stash report:

Used year to date:  3.72 yards
Added year to date:  38 yards
Net stashed:  34.28 yards

I'll start working back towards being in the black when I get the backing done for Bejeweled.  Which will hopefully happen today. The blocks for Geometry will help a lot too. Those go fast and the ones made this week represent most of what went out this week.  

In spite of my shoulder problems this week, I did manage 15 minutes in the sewing room each day this week.  So far I've maintained my A by sewing all 21 days of the year so far.   I'll have to break up my sewing room time today with other activities so I don't re-aggravate that nerve in my shoulder. I've got some sewing room clean up that needs to be done too, so that should be manageable.  

The shopping expedition yesterday was successful, I came home with 3 new pairs of pants, 3 sizes smaller than where I started back in June.  To say that was a nice feeling would be a huge understatement.  Thanks to everyone for the very nice comments yesterday, I really appreciate the support.  

Linking up to Patchwork Times.   

14 comments:

Erin @ MakeitSew said...

Pretty fabrics! We're enjoying some desperately needed rain over here in CA too.

Barbara said...

You deserve a medal for all that sewing time. Looking forward to seeing Bejeweled.

Shauna said...

ohh those fabrics look great.

Tine said...

15 minutes a day is a good goal to have. You can actually get something done in 15 mins - and you still have all day to do work and do chores. I am looking forward to seeing the backing for you bejeweled quilt. It is so pretty!!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

We all need some new fabric to perk us up. Congrats on the weight loss - that is super!!

Kate said...

Hey, a pile of handy backings is a good thing! Then you have to make a quilt to use them up! And congrats on the weight loss and new pants. It's always nice to go shopping when you feel good about your weight.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

It's a gloomy day here too - I haven't even gotten out of my PJ's yet! I hope you enjoy your unexpected retreat day. Congrats on the fabric addition ;) and on the clothes shopping. That must have been so fun!! Doing the happy dance for you Kate!

Joy D. said...

That is such happy fabric! You will make up for it in no time. Congratulations on the weight loss and the need for the shopping trip. It takes a strong person to follow through on the commitment to both lose weight and spend 15 minutes. You are a great example to us all, and thank you for sharing your journey with us. Blessings!

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Congrats on your new size - truly a wonderful feeling and a great achievement. I'm sure you'll use up your Connecting Threads backings over time. Their sales are such a great value if you find fabrics you know you can use.

Angie in SoCal said...

You're our role model when we're hurting and not sewing. How neat to have a reason to buy fabric - like your choices.

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Congrats on keeping up with your sewing goals, finding great inexpensive fabric for backings and for your shopping trip.

Katie Z. said...

I'm glad you were still able to find the fabric, even if it means your numbers took a hit. With all your anticipated finishes, you'll have no trouble making it up!

Dar said...

Congrats on loosing weight and having to buy smaller sizes. That is wonderful. The fabrics you got for backings are pretty and will get used quickly I'm sure. Nice going on keeping up your 15 mins/day goal of sewing.

gayle said...

(Connecting Threads and their clearance fabric have been my downfall several times...)
You've got all kinds of good things happening at your house! I hope the shoulder continues to heal!