Friday, March 1, 2013

Favorite Things Friday - A Simple Thing

Not that I'd forgotten that it was Friday, I just forgot that it was Favorite Things Friday.  Until I saw Shay's post in Google Reader, I'd not given any thought to writing a post today.  So a few minutes of quiet contemplation were necessary (the caffeine needed to reach my brain) before I could come up with a favorite thing for today.  

I've noticed that word "laundry" has been showing up pretty frequently in my posts lately.  Probably because no matter how crazy our schedule is, a few loads have to be run each week.  Delicate darks so I have work clothes, whites and lights so Drama Teen has school uniforms, greens so My Guy has clothes for work (he really likes green), then jeans and unmentionables.  Laundry is never fun, but my least favorite thing about it is folding T-shirts and matching socks.  I hate matching socks so much that I've been known on occasion to just leave them piled on the dryer and let everyone fend for themselves.  However, Drama Teen has adopted a new fashion statement that has dramatically reduced the sock sorting time, she doesn't wear matching socks anymore.  But since her socks look like this,


  
you don't notice.  You are so blinded by the colors and patterns that your vision doesn't even register the fact that they don't match.  For Christmas DT asked for new socks, the brighter the better.  Grandma certainly obliged.  



No two socks in that package matched, so you couldn't find a pair if you wanted to.  So now, I'm off the hook on matching DT's socks.  No more sorting through a pile of socks looking for a mate (which is more than likely still under her bed anyway).  Now if I could just get My Guy to adopt that fashion statement, I wouldn't have to stand by the window in the laundry room trying to determine if I really have two black socks in my hand or if one them is really dark blue.  

For much more rational favorite things, check out the links over at Quilting in my Pyjamas.  

12 comments:

Kate said...

Hahaha - I throw all socks in a basket and let my people fend for themselves on matches. I wish we could have the non-matching trend here! Those are some bright socks!

Marti said...

LOL, wouldn't that be nice if everyone would do it? I only wear white socks, all the same brand/style so mine are easy. But I hate sorting Hubby's dress socks. I just put them all in a basket in the closet and let him deal with it. At 6 a.m. In the dark. He often doesn't match and doesn't know his shirts and pants don't match until he gets to work. Bwahahaha I know, I'm bad. A good wife would have his clothes pressed, picked out and waiting on a hanger every morning.

Rosie said...

Know what you mean about matching socks....just where do they go?
I love those brightly coloured socks!

Terri said...

How about buying your hubby all black socks - all the same design. No matching necessary.
Hugs

seabreezequilts said...

My hubby is obsessive about hanging the socks in pairs on the line (we rarely use our dryer) so they are already sorted when you bring them down (I usually leave the cloths hanging to him) if you are fussy about it do it yourself. Hubby has a few anal retentive issues I know but this one means the hunt doesn't happen too often. Doesn't mean there aren't lost socks though but that is mainly squid and she isn't averse to wearing odd socks herself.

Shay said...

Ummm...had to run and get my sunglasses to read this post in it's entirety...those socks are eye poppingly colourful!

I haven't paired socks in years. I'm all about people trying to find their own matching mates. It cuts down on me being frustrated when you find one half of a pair is missing too!

Confession: I don't fold undies or jocks either . They just get stuffed in the drawer in a bunch.

Maria said...

I do love those colorful socks, gorgeous! Since the girls have left home, we don't seem to have odd socks any more :-). Love that term Drama Teen..We had 5 at one stage...I noticed that's when DH's grey hairs started 'sprouting' lol

thea said...

I can relate to the trying to figure out if the socks are blue or black. i think we've figured it out by having all the same color -- if only they were all the same kind too.

Denise :) said...

We have *so* enjoyed the new concept of purposefully not having matching socks! Especially with Sawyer -- it's such a blessing not to have to worry about matching socks with him! LOL! :)

AnnieO said...

All my growing up years there was a "sock basket" that stood next to the dryer. In junior high it was very popular to never wear matching socks--I remember toe socks came out then, and they had to be knee highs. My DH did the laundry for many years and he matched socks and folded thongs for the girls (which I kept trying to get him to stop doing) that but it was a way he showed love.

Quilter Kathy said...

LOL I can relate for sure!

Lynne said...

Easiest way to cope with those socks is to stitch a tiny coloured thread near the toe in each pair of socks -- a different coloured thread of design for every pair! Then matching is easy-peasy!