Monday, August 22, 2016

Weekend Stitching: Potting Poinsettias

Do you ever have those conversations with your family that start out perfectly logical and then degenerate into the unlikely and silly?   That's where this week's blog title came from.  I made some comment about getting close to being finished with Poinsettias to My Guy and it went from there.  Somehow finishing this quilt ended up being equated with the potting of plants.  I was there and I'm still not sure how we ended up in the potting shed. 

At any rate, Poinsettias has two of the borders added, with a good start on the addition of the third.

Poinsettias, By Judy Blok for the December 2013 issue
of American Patchwork and Quilting Magazine

Poinsettias has become one of my favorite quilts.  I've loved the pattern ever since I saw it in the magazine.  It's far from perfect, there are a few mismatched seams in there. Thankfully, it's a pattern where the eye tends to auto-correct and they aren't as noticeable. This quilt really stretched my piecing skills, but was still fun and not too frustrating.    

Adding borders always takes longer than I expect.  Even so, hopefully Poinsettias will be a finished flimsy by the end of the month.  I've got the fabric picked out for the backing.  It will just have to be cut and sewn together, but that probably won't happen this month.  The Zombies quilt needs to come first.  That one has a deadline, so I want to get it done first.  

Linking up with:
Monday Making
Main Crush Monday
Monday Design Wall

12 comments:

Lisa J. said...

It's beautiful. I'm not crazy about Poinsettias the plants but I like this quilt. Have you visited the potting shed yet, since your conversation?

Alison V. said...

This looks awesome! :)

Libby in TN said...

The eyes auto-correct. LOL I've got to remember that one!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, this is sooooooo close!!!!! Watching all those bits come together over the months and now look - beautiful!

Run 'n Stitch said...

I like the idea of auto-correct for mismatched seams. The poinsettia pattern looks complicated. It sure is lovely!

Barbara said...

Mismatched seams simply prove it's a hand-made item...can't beat that. It's beautiful, Kate.

Soma @ inkTorrents.com said...

Sometimes conversations take strange directions, don't they?!! The top looks amazing!! It looks perfect to me.

-Soma

Pam said...

Your quilt is just stunning with its dramatic design and stark reds and blacks. You are right about the eye auto-correcting. After you wrote that I went back and looked and could not find any mismatched seams.

Bonnie said...

You have done a great job on this quilt. Sorry it has to take a back seat but Zombies will be happy they get out of your studio and out in the world!

Kate said...

Noooo, Poinsettia has a deadline, too! You deserve to have it this Christmas!

Cheryl said...

The top looks amazing! The dark third border you are adding is going to be perfect.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Adding borders sounds so easy, but it always takes me longer than I think it should. The top is pretty amazing! You will be the only one that ever sees any mismatched seams. The design packs a punch and is so lovely!