Monday, August 10, 2026

Time LIne of a UFO

Last week was appointment free and so is this week. So I'm looking forward to not only getting lots of stitching done, I'm hoping to make progress on a few household chores that I've let slip lately. But I won't get carried away on the chores front, those are amazingly easy to put off till another day.  

On the other hand, it's been so much easier to stick with my stitching plans, most weeks anyway.  My goal the last few years has been to clear out my UFOs.  I have a lot of them.  Good Fortune is the latest UFO to finally get it's turn to become a finished quilt top.  GF was the 2018 Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt.  In 2018, My Girl was off at college, so we were past all the weekend high school activities, but I was still working full time.  Good Fortune was my 6th BH Mystery.  I had my fabrics picked early in November. 




We were actually home that year for Thanksgiving, family came to us, so I was able to start the mystery quilt that weekend after Black Friday, Bonnie's typical kick off day for the mystery.  The challenge of a BH mystery is there is one clue a week. I've always admired those quilters who finish the clues that week. I've never been one of them.  Based on my photos, I kept up till the third week.  Then the holiday or work, most likely both, got busy.  I played catch up the week after Christmas. 



 
By December 31st of that year, this is where I was on clues 1 to 6.  By the middle of February I had finished approximately 2/3 of the blocks I planned to make. 




Then for some reason Good Fortune went into a project box.  Which is pretty typical for most of the BH mysteries I've done.  Then they sit in that project box for a while. This one waited for 7 years before I pulled that project box, took stock and started piecing on it again in May.  Yesterday, I got all the blocks and sashings sewn together. 



When I pulled these blocks out of the project box and put them up on the wall, I wasn't sure I liked it.  Now that the blocks are all sewn together, I do like it.  The project still needs borders before it's a finished quilt top.  In an effort to use up the fabric that was already cut, two of the borders are going to be pieced.  One with short strips, the other with what I've been calling the split HST blocks. 




There are still a lot of these border blocks left to make, but I'm hoping most of them will be finished by the time I get the two narrow borders added.  The plan is to have this project to finished quilt top by the end of the month. That should be doable.  Then it goes onto the to be quilted list.  I have 4 graduation quilts that come first, plus a whole lot of other quilt tops.  Not sure when the time line on this particular UFO will actually end.  It probably won't be this year.  

Linking up with Patchwork & Quilts, along with Sew & Tell Monday.  

1 comment:

Nann said...

Oh, yes -- it is so easy to get caught up in mystery fever and nearly as easy for the fever to subside. You know how much I enjoy your adaptation of the mystery quilt colors!