Pages

▼

Thursday, October 8, 2026

2026 Quilt Making Strategies: Fourth Quarter Plan

Just one quarter left in 2026 to complete what ever plans one had for getting quilty things done this year.  When the year starts in January, it's so easy to think you've got the whole year ahead, so much time to get projects moved along and finished.  By October, it's where did the year go and why don't I have more done?  The last two months of the year have big holidays in them, so it's hard to make up time for what you didn't get done earlier in the year.  Considering all that, how do I put together a strategy for this quarter?

1. 2026 and 2027 Guild BOMs



All the blocks are made for the 2026 Guild BOM. This needs to be a finished quilt top before the November Guild Meeting, so this project will move up in priority this quarter.  I've finalized the layout for the 2027 Guild BOM and have my fabrics selected.  The yardage handout for 2027 has to be ready by the November meeting and the first block needs to be ready for the December meeting.  So lots to do on this front.  Definitely my #1 priorities for October and November.  

2. Wild and Goosey





All the teal blocks are sashed. That just leaves piecing and sashing the purple blocks.  There has been good progress this year on getting the blocks made and sashed. I should come close to finishing up the purple blocks before the end of the year.  I may have to spend some dedicated time to them so the quilt is ready to assemble in 2027.  

3. UFOs to move to quilt tops


Progress on Celtic Solstice started in third quarter.  It should be a finished quilt top before the end of October.  Marigold Mystery was a new planned project from last quarter. The clues run into next year, so that project won't be complete at the end of the year. The goal is to keep up with monthly clues this year.  The Simply Sensational Summer Scrap quilt hasn't seen any progress this year. It should see some progress this quarter. If I can get that far, the year will end with at least some progress on all the UFOs that were on my list for this year.  

4. Walking foot quilting



It's pretty much the same projects for 4th quarter as it was for 3rd quarter.  Glowing Hearts is more than halfway quilted. It should be finished this quarter. I'm hoping to make a start on Betty before the end of the year.  At this point all I'm hoping for is progress. I don't quilt very fast, so I'm going to need to scale back my walking foot quilting list for next year.  It's OK, I got more finishes this year than last, so I'm happy with the progress this year.  

5. Externally Quilted


At the beginning of the year, Lupine and Laughter was on the to be quilting via the walking foot list.  But one of My Girl's friends selected this as her graduation quilt, so it's going out for quilting now. I have the backing fabric.  I'm hoping it goes out for quilting before the end of the year, but with the Christmas rush to get quilts done by long armers, I doubt it will come back before next year. That's Ok, just getting it ready to go is good progress and will get 2027 off to a good start.  

6. Planned New Projects

The last planned new project for 2026 is the Bonnie Hunter Mystery.  She normally posts the fabric requirements in late October.  Is one clue a week from Black Friday on. I never keep up with the clues and I doubt this year will be any different.  It's a fun challenge, so I'll play along again this year.  

The guild BOMs will be the highest priority this quarter.  I'm starting all over on a new set of blocks.  And those projects have deadlines. So those will get done if nothing else does this quarter.  

4 comments:

  1. Being in charge of the guild BOMs always sounds like a big responsibility to me, but you have designed some beautiful quilts for them! Is your design for this year's quilt going to end up with the large block off-center like you're showing it? I really like it that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lot going on this quarter for the guild BOM projects, and I hope they continue to be fun to coordinate for your guild. I look forward to seeing all these projects make progress through the end of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your guild BOM is just beautiful. Everything is looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love that 2026 BOM! so crisp and pretty! As always, you're so busy with so many lovely projects!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. I appreciate your feedback and ideas. I try dilgently to reply to all comments (It may take me a few days, but I eventually get there). If you are a no reply blogger, I can't reply back. Please check that your settings are set to show your email. Thanks for stopping by!