Saturday, February 17, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: Is that Purple?

This week wasn't as bad as last week, but I'm still very glad to have made it to Saturday.  Yesterday was supposed to be a day off, it was, kinda.  I did have to run out to work for a couple of hours, but it wasn't too bad.  Afterwards there was a really good afternoon and evening of stitching, so I'll call it a good day.  

Most of my effort this week has been focused on getting the Magnolia Mystery to the finished flimsy stage, which didn't happen till yesterday afternoon.  So I missed the deadline to submit a photo for the parade over at Meadow Mist Designs. That's OK. It helped to have deadline, it made the quilt a priority. There's still a good chance it will be a finished flimsy ready to go out for quilting by the end of the month. 

There wasn't much stitching going on with my other projects, though I did finish off the first of three purple Squared Away blocks for February. 


  Squared Away Sampler
designed by Mari (The Academic Quilter)

This was a fun and easy block to make.  The darker print has all sorts of purples in it. It's hard to tell from this photo, but the background fabric is a very pale lavender.  That mottled purple is pretty old.  It dates back to my second quilt class back in 2001.  The background fabric is a bit newer, it is a left over from a quilt back for one of the SITs middle school teachers.  I've got a start on the final two purple blocks, but no pictures of those two yet. 

Now to grab a bit of breakfast before heading off to the gym.  Linking up with Soscrappy for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge and Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Oh Scrap on Sunday.  

15 comments:

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Beautiful block, I love this "old" purple fabric!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That's a pretty one, Kate! The fabric with all the purples is perfect for this month.

Laura said...

Your squared away sampler block is a perfect home to show off the old purple fabric! What a pretty block!

Ivani said...

Beautiful wishing ring purple block.

Katie Z. said...

Good work! I didn’t manage to submit my Magnolia Mystery either, as I lost track of time. I hope you get plenty of sewing this weekend.

Mari said...

I love the fabric in that block! And somehow I never seem to finish quilts by the deadline. . .

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

What a pretty block--neat old fabric--wished I had a piece of that one--!!
and it is good you got more done on the Magnolia quilt--cause even if you missed the parade-you have the rest of us to show it too when finished!!
enjoy, di

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Very pretty purple Wishing RIng. Deadlines are good, but sometimes we need to relax and not stress.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Hooray! for PURPLE sewing time. And "vintage" fabric scraps, too!!

Marti said...

I like that. I think I even have some of the lighter purple in my stash. Congratulations for getting the Magnolia Mystery to the flimsy stage! I hope the coming week is a little easier for you, or at least less stressful.

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

How lovely, to add in a fabric you have had for so long, they hold so many memories and points to how far you have come on your quilting journey. It's a great block design and your fabrics do it justice. I hope you get more sewing time in the coming week.

Julie said...

Purple would be a tough one for me, too. I guess pink is like that for some folks though too. Hmmm. You're right about making the effort and having some deadlines to keep us on track. I haven't had as many long day stretch at a time moments lately, but will run to the studio if I know I even have time to press fabric and cut borders. There have been a few times I walked in set to do something, and there is sat done already. I had to laugh because it felt like I had little elves in the studio. Stolen moments in our sewing space DO add up to happy quilting. Keep at it, Kate, a bit at a time or whatever time you can eek out.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I like the purple you used ;-)

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

That is a pretty block - I love those fabrics. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a good day if you got to spend most of it stitching!