Saturday, February 24, 2018

Rainbow Scrap Challenge: From Lavender to Ultra-Violet

From snow to sleet to freezing rain to downpours, this week has had it all.  And that was just the weather!  I'm definitely ready for the weekend.  But stitching will have to wait till this afternoon, first My Guy and I are judging at our regional science fair this morning.  Since our Scientist in Training is now in college, we will not have to stay for the afternoon awards ceremony so we should be done by lunch time.  

It's been fun rummaging around in my purple scraps for the last two Squared Away blocks.  


Squared Away Sampler
designed by Mari (The Academic Quilter)

The one on the left was on the design wall last week.  The middle block is made from a deep purple from one of Connecting Threads' fabric lines.  I used it in one of the graduation quilts made last year.  The calico like purple in the last block was used as a backing on the quilt that got me back into quilting in 2001.  So these blocks are a nice mix of the old and the new.  They make a nice contrast to last month's blocks.


Squared Away Sampler
designed by Mari (The Academic Quilter)

Not sure how this quilt is going to come together as yet, we'll have to see what else Mari has in store for us in the months to come.  But I'm happy with my blocks so far. I've been dipping into my overflowing pile of scraps to find the fabrics for each and it's been a lot of fun digging for just the right colors.  It's also been a bit of a challenge to remember where some of the fabrics were used.  A number of them never made it to the front of a quilt, but were used as backings.  

February has been a good month for stitching, the purple sawtooth stars for the border of an older RSC project also got done this month. 



The second star is a very, very dark purple.  Dark colors like that don't seem to photograph very well in my sewing room. The other purples turned out beautifully though.  It's been a challenge to remember to vary the shades of these border stars.  It's so easy to just grab the medium shades, but I want a mix of light to dark in the border.  

For once I've actually finished all my RSC sewing before the end of the month.  I'm definitely ready to see what color of the rainbow we'll be sewing with in March.  Linking up with Soscrappy for Saturday's Rainbow Scrap Challenge post and with Quilting is More Fun than Housework for Sunday's Oh Scrap linky party.  

15 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your Squared Away blocks look great! I like the blue and purple together. It will be fun to see what color we add in next! Hope you enjoy the science fair judging - I would think it would be so interesting to see what the kids do.

AnnieO said...

Lovely variety of purple blocks. Your memory is good —not sure I recall all the backing fabrics from my quilts. It’s hard sometimes to “sacrifice” great fabric like that for backing, isn’t it!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love your purple blocks and when you read my post--you will discover my block looks way different??? I also find that purples and sometimes blues just don't photograph well--and I have tried inside and outside photos!!!
hope this morning at the judging went well and that you had some fun while there!!
enjoy, di

Marti said...

You've been busy! I can see all the shades of purple on my screen and love the variety you have. Hope you enjoyed your judging this morning and I'm sure you will enjoy your stitching this afternoon, especially if it is rainy there too.

PaulaB quilts said...

A nice collection of purples. I especially like your Sawtooth Stars in the wide range of tones.

Libby in TN said...

Lovely lavender blocks.

Louise said...

You have a really great mix of purple values! I have almost no lavender in my stash, something that needs to be fixed.

Janice said...

Lovely blocks. It's fun not knowing what is coming up next.

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

All your blocks look fantastic, and they are great all together!

Emily said...

Lovely blocks! I'm still not caught up with January's RSC challenge blocks, so I'm jealous :)

Cathy said...

Nice mix of old and new purples and blocks.

Jennifer said...

Love all your purples! I’ve enjoyed the color this month and am glad to have my blocks finished so I am ready for March’s color!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

You made some great progress on your blocks this week. Purple is one of my favorite colors. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Katie Z. said...

They look lovely!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Look at your blocks grow!! me too - I am surprised I am ready for a new color....