Monday, January 22, 2018

Weekend Stitching: Geeky Progress

The weekend was pretty slow paced, I didn't leave the house at all.  There were a lot of naps, this sinus crude is proving difficult to shake.  I'm in the cough till you drop stage.  

Even with the naps, there was a decent amount of time spent in the sewing room.  Geek Chic is now a finished flimsy.

  Chemistry Geek
Pattern is Under Construction by the Missouri Star Quilt Company
found in Missouri Star Quilt Company Block Idea Book (Summer Vol 4 Issue 3)

I'm happy with how it turned out.  More importantly, the SIT likes it.   The fabrics really make the quilt and this block allows each to shine.   


The block shape is pretty close to some of the stick figure molecular diagrams used in chemistry, which helps with the geeky theme.  The back will be pieced from the left overs.  I've got all the pieces cut, but didn't have the time or energy to start on the assembly. Hopefully the back will be done by the weekend.  Then all that is left is prepping the quilt for quilting.  It will be nice to get this one finished and to SIT for her dorm room before the semester ends.  Plus getting Geek Chic out the door for quilting is this month's OMG. 

Linking up with:
Monday Making
Monday Design Wall
Main Crush Monday

19 comments:

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am loving it - so I got sick Dec 8th and I am still coughing.... I hope yours goes away faster and quicker!!! LOVE the detail of the fabrics that you have used!

Alison V. said...

This is so cute! I can't wait to see how it gets quilted.

Rebecca Grace said...

So sorry to hear that you're Sick With the Ick! Me, too -- I feel like I swallowed broken glass. I have a doctor appointment at 10:30 and I hope she prescribes a magic elixir to make this nastiness go away FAST! Congrats on finishing your Chemistry Geek flimsy. That's a great way to use those fabrics. My SITs would love it, too (I have two of them, still in high school).

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I feel for you as I am still sick with this crud myself (2 mos). I love this pattern and the fabrics chosen really work so well with it. You are close to your Monthly goal even with feeling under the weather.

AnnieO said...

Mucinex really helped me with the sinus crud and irritating cough from post nasal drip.

The quilt looks great. She’ll enjoy it a lot!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

My hubby is still coughing, though less. Hang in there!
You are so right that this pattern is a real show case for the fabrics all so interesting.

Home Sewn By Us said...

Hi Kate,
Sorry about the sinus crude. Is there anyone anywhere that is not sick with something? Just saying. Love the colors and fabrics in Geek, and can absolutely agree with the shape being molecules for chemistry. Your SIL will 100% approve and love it. ~smile~ Roseanne

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Hope you feel better soon.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh love all the blue in the Geek quilt top--
so sorry to hear you are ill, but from what I am reading online--you have lots of company!!! But still--get better soon and don't forget the honey-that always helps me alot--I take a spoonful every time I am in the kitchen--!!
enjoy, di

Julie in GA said...

Great fabrics, and the pattern you used shows them off perfectly!
Hope the sinus crud goes away soon.

Lynette said...

Ugh! Sorry you've been so sick. Making backs might be my least favorite task - I'm on lunch break in the middle of making one right now.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

Congrats on the finished flimsy; the design is really cool. I hope you feel better soon! It's no fun having the crud.

chrisknits said...

We have a Chem grad who is waiting to hear if she is headed to Med School or Grad School for Bio- Engineering. She would "get" this quilt. Love it.

Sandy Panagos said...

I think this gets cuter every time I see it. SIT will be the envy of all her classmates!

Marti said...

I love this quilt! How hard was it to keep all the lines straight in the blocks? Looks like several of your fabrics have squares. I hope you feel better soon. Both dh & I have the crud too.

Barbara said...

I love how it turned out. Fantastic. Great fabric choices.

thea said...

Very nice! Feel better.

Emily said...

I love how it looks! This is one of those patterns that just seems made for that fabric--it's a really nice combo.

Jennifer said...

Great top! Hope you’re feeling better after some rest over the weekend. Sometimes those coughs feel like they will never end! Hope yours does soon!