Monday, January 15, 2018

Weekend Stitching: Bordering

We had a pretty slow, hang out kind of weekend.  It's been cold and windy.  Not as bone chilling as it is up north, but it's just not fun getting out of the house to go anywhere.  Thankfully Sunday was warmer than it has been, so it wasn't so bad when the Scientist in Training had to load up for drive back to college yesterday afternoon.  The house certainly was quiet last night.

Once the SIT was on the road, I distracted myself with what was in the sewing room.  The room is a bit of a wreck, so I spent some time putting away a few things before sitting down to stitch.  I'm making some progress on my On Ringo Lake blocks.

On Ringo Lake, Bonnie Hunter 2017 Mystery Quilt
These blocks have grown on me as I've worked with them.  Due to the lack of contrast between the black and gray, my version will look a bit different, but I think it's going to look pretty cool with the sashing.  For now, I've bumped the ORL blocks to leaders and enders status.  

The priority project this month is to get Geek Chic out the door for quilting before the end of the month.  The blocks got sewn together last weekend just in time for the SITs birthday.  She helped decided on the border fabrics.

 Chemistry Geek
Pattern is Under Construction by the Missouri Star Quilt Company
found in Missouri Star Quilt Company Block Idea Book (Summer Vol 4 Issue 3)

We had to raid the stash for the aqua fabric for the first narrow border. None of the other fabrics worked very well with what she choose for the outer border.  The last inner border strip is all ready to go, I just didn't get that far last night.  This should make it to finished flimsy stage by the weekend.  I'll have to piece the back, but that should be fun as I'm using the left overs for that.  

Linking up with:

Design Wall Monday
Monday Making
Main Crush Monday
BOMs Away

24 comments:

Sue Daurio said...

I love your On Ringo Lake blocks. I think as I watch the quilts coming together the key for this quilt is the definition between the salmon and the neutral, in your case the grey and the yellow. When there isn't a big difference in value between those two, the quilts looks a bit muddy to me. When there is a nice differential the quilts look a bit more crisp to me at least. So I think yours is going to be fantastic

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

One of the ladies in our guild brought in her ORL blocks and I was surprised at the size. For some reason I thought the blocks would be bigger. I'm glad you like your blocks; they will look great together.

Julie in GA said...

The Chemistry Geek quilt top is looking great! Your Ringo Lake blocks are very striking and will look quite different than everyone else's quilt (I think that's a good thing!)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

The SIT's quilt is so fun - pretty colors and prints. She did a good job choosing the first border! Looking forward to seeing what the other borders will be!

Quilter Kathy said...

Great progress on your OMG already!

Jayne said...

I really like your Chemistry Geek quilt! What a fun and beautiful quilt!

beth s said...

What a great quilt for SIT!

Rebecca Grace said...

Yes, I love your On Ringo Lake blocks, too-- better than others I've seen so far. Very bold and graphic, like those antique quilts that look more modern than modern quilts do. If you want, you can increase your contrast for the gray fabric slightly at the quilting stage by having your quilter use a lighter shade of gray thread on that fabric.

Marti said...

I love the SIT quilt! Perfect for chemistry. What will you do if she changes her major to history? lol Kidding.

I like your Ringo Lake blocks. The colors really make the yellow pop. Who knows, I may like your finished quilt better than the original. I often do.

Cheryl said...

The chemistry geek quilt top is awesome, I love those chemistry prints!

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

It will be fun to see how the quilter quilts your Chemistry quilt top--did SIT have any ideas on that--or will it all be up the the quilter????
and your Ringo Lake blocks are coming along nicely--
enjoy, di

Preeti said...

It is refreshing to see On Ringo Lake in colors other than the usual aqua, coral and brown. Love the bright Chemistry quilt.

Janice Holton said...

Good for you for stepping out on the ORL colors. I am not that brave. Even though I love the pattern, it is kind of boring seeing the same quilt over and over again. I'm making one too but I think it's going to be a looooong time before it's anywhere close to done. So fun to finally see your daughter's chemistry quilt. It is perfect!!

MissPat said...

I really like seeing ORL in other colors. It's disconcerting to see hundreds of quilts that all look alike. What will the antique/thrift shop shoppers think when they keep finding the same quilt over and over. LOL
I sat out this year's mystery. Too many other irons in the fire so to speak.
Pat

AnnieO said...

Love the prints in Geek Chic. What fun. Your sashing will make a difference in the ORL, possibly? They are very dramatic in your colors.

Barbara said...

Geek Chick is looking wonderful. What a great idea. I like your ORL blocks too. Initially I thought that was a table topper. It looks good just the way it is.

Katie Z. said...

I think your quilts are going to be lovely. I’ve decided to bypass ORL this year, but I do like your blocks.

gayle said...

The Geek Chic is absolutely perfect - love those joyfully sciencey prints!
And your Ringo is going to be stunning! Can't wait to see it all put together!

Sandy Panagos said...

I really like the fabrics you are using in your On Ringo Lake blocks!

Lynette said...

That aqua border is BEAUTIFUL on this quilt!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I must agree with all the rest, the chemistry quilt is looking GOOD. I'm interested in seeing what you do with the back using up the leftovers, I love to see a pieced leftover back, the scrappier the better for me.

Julie said...

I'm glad you kept going with ORL. I think it's going to be Very Nice even if it isn't exactly like BH's intent. Come on. Who wants a quilt identical to everyone else's anyhow? Right? I'm sure it will be a stand out.

Jennifer said...

Hooray, I love geek chic! Hope you’ve had time to sew this week!

vaiybora said...

I really like you post good blog,Thanks for your sharing.

หนังดราม่า