Sunday, October 22, 2017

Stash Stuff for Week 42

We've had a slightly different pace this weekend with the Scientist in Training home.  While she was doing homework, I got caught up on my blog reading, email, uploading photos, etc.  We also did a little shopping, for shoes this time.  I really needed new shoes for work.  Since I work in a lab, my shoes have to meet safety criteria, but still meet the "professional" dress code. I pretty much hate shopping for work shoes and put it off till my current pair look so bad even My Guy notices.  

It hasn't been the best week for stitching.  As expected, work stuff took over a few evenings, so there wasn't a lot of time spent in the sewing room.  I did manage to get in my 15 minutes each night, but that was about it.  So stitching happened for 7 out of 7 days this week.  But it really was just 15 minutes each night, so no much got done.  The stash report pretty much shows that. 

Used last week:  0.37 yards
Used year to date:  50.14 yards

I've broken the 50 yards out milestone.  I'm hoping to reach 60 yards out for the year.  My goal was 75 yards, but at this point, that's probably not happening.  Though the stash goal isn't going so well, finding time to stitch has gone well in 2017.  I'm really happy with finishing six projects so far this year. 

While hanging out with the SIT as she did homework, I used part of my time to start getting a label ready for En Provence.  I'm still sewing blocks together into rows but I'm hopeful it will be ready for quilting next month.  Here's two options for that label:




I like both labels.  A lot will depend on what I choose for the backing fabric.  Do you always keep the name of a pattern or mystery quilt along as the name of your quilt?  I'm struggling a bit with these labels as the fabrics I used for En Provence are Asian themed.  The backing fabric I have in mind is left over from a previous project that used some of the fabrics that show up in the En Provence blocks.  Here's the proposed backing fabric:


This is just one repeat.  If I remember correctly the repeat is about 26" x 20".  I've got about 3 yards of this left as I only used one repeat. I'll supplement with any left over yardage from the front to piece a back if needed.  So do you see my dilemma?  I've been playing around with a name that still uses En Provence, but with an Oriental slant.  At this point they all sound pretty lame, so I'm not sharing.  Maybe my subconscious will help me out if I let it stew for a bit.  I'd certainly welcome any suggestions in the meantime.  

Linking up with Quiltpaintcreate for this week's stash report.  

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't do mysteries, so no help there. I like the first label better with what you showed of the backing fabric. If you like the second one though, I think you should use it. Your quilt, your way.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You always have the prettiest and most creative labels, Kate! I wish I could help you out with the name for En Provence, but I am really bad at naming quilts. Most of the time I even forget to label them! Enjoy the rest of your time with your SIT!

Rebecca said...

I hate shopping for shoes so much hubby sent my best friend out with me onetime with orders when I found the first pair of shoes to toss the ones I was wearing in the trash and not to quit until I had 3 pairs of shoes.

Dar said...

I like the 2nd label because it fits the name of the mystery quilt. And putting some of the leftover fabric from the front will tie it together even more. Sometimes I change the name to suit my recipient other times I leave it as is "If it has a decent name". When it just is a 'mystery' quilt by one person or another, I give it my own name. Whatever you chose to do will be what makes it right for you.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love the new header--and how you made it look like that dress is hanging from a branch--clever!!! and I hate shopping for shoes too--I have a short foot--wide toes and narrow heel--did I tell you that I 'hate' shopping for shoes?????
love the labels and that backing is sooo pretty--it will come together--so just keep at it--
enjoy the moments, di

The Joyful Quilter said...

My suggestion:
Name of quilt, an En Provence Mystery from Bonnie Hunter
Pieced by Kate
Quilted by Trudy
Finished November 2017

maggie fellow said...

yes I keep the name of the pattern, I just can't think of anything else. I love your great labels.

Jennifer said...

What about En Shanghai? Great backing fabric and I like the first label with it. Hope you had luck with the shoe shopping!

Kate said...

What about "Purovu~Ansu de" - En Provence in Japanese?