Monday, September 25, 2017

Weekend Stitching - Vintage Dresses Back on the Design Wall

We had a nice visit with the Scientist in Training this weekend.  We spent yesterday morning drinking coffee and hanging out.  She probably won't be home again till fall break later in October.  

After the SIT left, I headed to the sewing room for a bit.  On the agenda was to get started on setting the Vintage Dress blocks together. There are three different dress blocks in the set.  I'd forgotten that one of the dress blocks is wider than the other two. That became obvious when I started pulling the blocks out of the project box.  


The only way to get all of the blocks the same size is to add coping strips.  So my original plan for how to assemble the sashing wasn't going to work.  But after a few minutes in EQ, a new assembly plan was worked out and I started adding coping strips to the blocks.  

Vintage Dresses
by 
Charise Randell

I didn't get very far, but two blocks are completely done and cut to a consistent 9.5" x 12.5".  I made a start on the next two.  There will be some other changes to the sashing pieces to accommodate the larger size of the blocks, but that will actually simplify both the pieces and the overall assembly process.  But since the "framing" of the blocks is added with the sashing, the final placement of all the blocks will need to be worked out before the sashing strips can be made. It's doubtful that this UFO will get finished this month, but at least all the assembly problems are worked out.  The plan for this year was to move each UFO forward.  Finishes would be great, but I'm grateful for any progress on these projects.  

Linking up with:
Monday Making
Main Crush Monday
Monday Design Wall 
BOMs Away

20 comments:

Lynn said...

These dresses look so gorgeous. Congrats on sorting out some of the issues - always feels good to have that done. Look forward to seeing them put together.

Scrapatches said...

This blocks are sew pretty! Thanks for sharing on Monday Making ... :) Pat

Cheryl said...

You are making great progress! That is a great fix to having the blocks be different sizes.

Rebecca said...

I want to wear the orange and black number.... do you think it might be my size...? lol

Alison V. said...

Hooray! I am so excited to see these blocks again!

Barbara said...

Nice! I had to do that with one of my Yard Art blocks when I cut it so that the bottom of the fused applique was going to show rather than be sewn into the seam. Had to add a little bit to the top to shift the block down ever so slightly. Quilters are so clever.

Tu-Na Quilts said...

I enjoyed watching you make these last year. It will be fun to watch this quilt come to life now.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I wish all those dresses where in my closet--so well--
they are going to make you a really pretty quilt--
and is it fun to have to come up with finishing plans when a couple blocks that for whatever reason shrunk!!!
enjoy the moments, di

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

That is the least fun part of quilting - making things fit when they don't want to! It can be a brain exercise, too! Glad you are getting this part figured out!

Quiltblocksandmore said...

That's what I like about quilting...problems are easily fixed. Your blocks look great! Glad you had a good visit with SIT.

Jasmine said...

I love your dresses, especially that black one.

Gari in AL said...

I love your dresses. The green one looks a lot like a dress my mother wore in the 40s.

Anonymous said...

The blocks look great. I love that this is a quilt you don't see every day. Different is more interesting!

Anonymous said...

The blocks look great. I love that this is a quilt you don't see every day. Different is more interesting!

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

I've been looking forward to seeing these blocks again, I love them. The black one has to be my favourite, it makes me want to try paper piecing again. I'm looking forward to following this quilt.

Jennifer said...

Gosh, I love those blocks - you've made good progress this month on the plans for them!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Oh....I'm in love with the green dress....so cute.

Lynette said...

This is going to be the coolest quilt - I love every one of those dresses! Thanks for sharing at BOMs Away :D

Sandra Walker said...

How I adore these (as you know!) My cows were the same, not all created equally. Worked out fine in the end, even though I was NOT a happy camper at first.

Emily said...

I'm so glad the dresses are back! I can't wait to see what you do with them, and I'm glad you have a plan--I know how frustrating it can be when you're not sure what you're going to do and you want to make progress!