Monday, August 14, 2017

Weekend Stitching: What goes on in the Background

It was a busy weekend.  Drama Teen and I took a road trip to see her grandmother before DT heads off the college, plus made one more mad dash to Tulsa on Sunday to finish off the dorm room shopping.  DT heads off to college on Wednesday.  There are still a few last minute things to deal with, but for the most part she is ready to go.  Not sure I am.  

With all the last minute college prep, there hasn't been as much going on in the sewing room.  At least not much worth showing on the blog.  Still working on stitching down the binding on Blooms and Butterflies.  Just two corners and the side between left to do there.  The first round of white borders has been added to the scrappy coffee cup project, but the flimsy doesn't look much different than last week.  

The leaders and enders project reached a milestone.  I've got 9 blocks done now, so threw them up on the design wall to gauge if the project was done or if one I want one more row. 

  En Provence a Bonnie Hunter Mystery (2016)

My preference is rectangular quilts, I'm not a big fan of square ones.  So I'd like to add one more row of blocks, but wasn't sure there would be enough fabric for that.  But there appears to be enough to eek out three more blocks.  So the blocks have been moved back to the project box for now.  I did find that one of the sashing strips is assembled wrong (do you see the error in the photo), so I'll fix that before putting that one back into the box.  I don't want to forget and find it again after I've put the top together.  My goal is to get En Provence finished before this year's Bonnie Hunter mystery gets going.  Hopefully I can get that far before November.  

Linking up for:
Main Crush Monday
Monday Making
Monday Design Wall

19 comments:

Julie in GA said...

Your version of En Provence looks great! Very pretty colors.

Vicki in MN said...

A beauty of a quilt, I had to look a long time to find the sashing boo boo. You could always just add a border to the top and bottom of the quilt, if you have enough fabric to do that.

Alison V. said...

This looks awesome! Good luck getting your girlie off to college -- it feels like it was just yesterday for me!

Barbara said...

Wow, I searched and searched for the sashing that was put together wrong. Took me a long time to find it. It's beautiful. I keep feeling excited for DT. Taking my youngest to college was so exciting, but his road to college was a lot rockier. I think "growing pains" are harder on moms than they are on kiddos.

Nann said...

Your EP colorway is lovely. Hope you and DT survive going to college!

AnnieO said...

Hopefully the sashing whoopsie will be an easy fix! You're going to be missing your girl so much, hopefully she'll be in frequent contact with her folks!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

An exciting, but bittersweet, time for you and DT. Hope move-in day goes smoothly! I had to search for a bit to see what you meant in your En Provence. That's always frustrating, but hopefully not too hard to fix. Have a good week, Kate!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Both of you are entering a new path in life and I am sure you will both wonderfully with it. Good to catch a 'miss' before too much more was assembled.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

It really is looking good--and glad you can get 3 more blocks to make it rectangle--and I hadn't thought about it before--but I am like you-I like rectangle ones too--
enjoy the moments, di

Sandy Panagos said...

Oooh, pretty! Double check before you sew. There's a piece turned the wrong way. I admire you for getting so much done!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Best of luck to Drama Teen (and Mom!!) It's a BIG step when they're off to college for the 1st time. Nice work on your En Provence! Mine is STILL only one block. Oops! Better get busy, as November will be here before we know it!

Sandra Walker said...

I saw that and was thinking hmm, better email her privately and ask if she'd noticed, but yay you had! (telling here from the comments how some people don't read, just skim and look at pics, huh??!) any-who, love your colours for En Provence, and love that it's a leader/ender project; I can no longer sew without having a project as of this past year or so, thanks to the RSC. Used to sew random triangles back together for HST squares, or some such, but now? needs to be an actual project. Sending hugs too as your daughter flies the coop, it's a tough one, I know.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

It is beautiful! I LOVE the fabrics you used. Hope the move went well - hugs to you ( #2 left this morning - ugh)

Kate @ Smiles From Kate said...

To keep your child you have to let them go, all the time and love you have invested over the years pays off and they will always return like a homing pigeon, not to the family home, but to the loving parents who made them as they are. Just keep smiling, she will come back.

Jennifer said...

Great progress on your leader/ender. I agree on the preference for rectangular quilts. Hope the college drop off went well!

Cheryl said...

Great progress on your leader/ender project. Good luck to your daughter heading off to college!

jetters said...

I love your colour/fabric choices for En Provence. I'm sad to admit that I am so influenced by what I see others doing - Bonnie's colours didn't inspire me at all - but yours are terrific. I also vote for,rectangular quilts. I need enough to tuck under my toes and up to my chin. I am happy to say that I am not as wide as I am tall ;) Best wishes to you and DT.m

Quilter Kathy said...

Looks great! I want to finish En Provence before the next mystery starts also!

Preeti said...

Love the colors. Yes I see it :-I Happens to all of us.
Ah yes, November will be here soon and will bring cooler days - perfect for sewing :-)