Sunday, May 22, 2016

Stash Management - Week 21 of 2016

It's been a nice weekend so far.  Still have some house cleaning to do this morning.  Drama Teen is having her annual last day of school "veg out in front of the TV" party for her friends on Wednesday.  They have finals the last three days, with calculus and chemistry on the last day.  We're likely to come home and find all 4 or 5 of them out cold.  But before then, the living room needs some attention.  Mount Laundry still needs to be conquered.  It won't get conquered, but I'll probably get a good bit of it scaled down before I go sew for a bit this afternoon.  

It was a really good week for spending time in the sewing room.  This year I've been trying to get in at least 15 minutes of stitching every day.  I achieved that goal this week. 


Days with 15 minutes of stitching time this week:  6 days
Days in May:  18 out of 21 days
Days this year:  117 out of 14

With all the time in the sewing room you'd think there would be more fabric out the door, but most of what I'm working on is small blocks.  They don't add up very quickly. 

Used last week:  1.04 yards
Used year to date: 26.67 yards
Purchased year to date:  25.75 yards
Net used for 2016:  0.92 yards 

At least I'm back in the black after being in the red last week.  

I've been slowly reorganizing the fabric closet.  In that process, I came across my stash of 1930 reproduction fabrics that was acquired as part of a BOM back in 2007.  I way over bought for that project.  I've made one other quilt from that stash and still have a bunch of yardage left even after finishing those two quilts. 


In addition to all this yardage, there are lots of fat quarters still hanging around as well.  

Where am I going with this?   I'm trying to come up with a justification to deviate from my quilt plan.  Lea Anne, who blogs at Podunk Pretties, posted a tutorial the other day called Back Porch Blooms.  I've long admired Lea Anne's bright, beautiful quilts and this block is no exception. She's going to share three projects based on the block.  But she's also supportive of seeing what you do with the block.  This is just too much temptation and I have fabric that really needs to be moved out of the fabric closet.  So I've got a plan drafted in EQ and hope to make a start on it this week.  Hopefully with a holiday weekend next week I can get enough done to have something to show on her linky party planned for June 6th.  

That's it for me this week.  You can find more tales of stash management over at Patchwork Times.  

12 comments:

Joy D. said...

Congrats on being Back in Black! I loved the little dress block you finished earlier this week, and the little bits add up. The rediscovery of repro's look fun. Working with those red, whites, and blues will be appropriate for Memorial Day. I look forward to seeing what you and EQ came up with! Have a Blessed Week!

Charlene S said...

Using up a elephant stash requires small bites and lots of piecing but one day the elephant becomes a mouse. I think! Mine is just became a thinner elephant. LOL

Heidi said...

I saw Lea Anne's tutorial this week too, and very tempted to play with it! Your fabrics look perfect for it!

Gretchen Weaver said...

This really is a cute pattern, I've printed it off. I'm going to have tons of 30's fabrics left when I finish my applique project.

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Love the pretty colors of these fabrics--they make you want to smile when looking at them--glad that DT did not have an accident with that tire--and I love those bright colored dresses--way to go--
love and laughter, di

Val's Quilting Studio said...

OMG Kate! These fabrics will be perfect made up in LeaAnne's pattern. I'll be looking forward to watching your progress. (I was wondering how DT was feeling as the end of school year nears.)

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Your fabric collection will look so cute in Lee Anne's Back Porch Blooms pattern. Her fresh whimsical designs are so appealing!

Rhonda said...

Your fabrics will be perfect for Back Porch Blooms. Good job getting your numbers back in the black.

Rhonda said...

Your fabrics will be perfect for Back Porch Blooms. Good job getting your numbers back in the black.

Dar said...

Good going to get back into black figures. Your fabric doesn't look very old and will make up into such a pretty springy/summery quilt. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Podunk Pretties said...

Cute fabrics! Its going to be adorable. I'm looking forward to seeing your creation. Thanks for the shout out.

Denise :) said...

Wow -- yeah, I really like your fabric colors and prints -- what fun they'll be to work with!! Good job busting that stash back into order! Hahaha! :)