Monday, February 2, 2015

Tuesday Archives - A Quilting Restart

Do you ever go back to your early blog posts and reread them?  I did that this week as I was trying to find a post for this week's Tuesday Archives.  



Val's Quilting Studio


I'm still doing a weekly stash report and linking up with Design Wall Monday, so not much has changed in my posts other than when I started bogging Drama Teen was referred to as Kiddo.  I'm not sure if I should to be concerned that little has changed in terms of what I blog about or to be encouraged that I've at least been consistent.  


After a bit of unsuccessful searching for a post that included the 9-patch quilt for this week's archives post, I consulted my digital quilt catalog.  Only to find that the desired subject for this post had never even made it to the blog, it was finished well before the blog came into being.    It always surprises me when I find a quilt that has never had it's shining(?) moment on the blog. So in the interest of fairness to that early quilt here is Spring Snowball. 





This quilt started off my current string of quilt projects. In 2001 My Guy suggested I sign up for a learning to quilt class at the newly opened quilt shop in town. I'd made one quilt top 14 years before, but I hadn't pieced anything since.  The class was so much fun, I enjoyed every minute of the 4 sessions it took us to get to the finished flimsy.  I was hooked and have been piecing since.  

Spring Snowballs  wasn't finished until 2010.  I have always planned to learn how to quilt, but with an active kiddo, a traveling spouse and a full time career of my own I just never found the time. So the flimsy lingered in the closet till I met Trudy, who has quilted all my projects since this one.  

That's it for my trip down memory lane this week.  You can see more quilt archives over at Val's Quilting Studio.  

7 comments:

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Isn't fun to visit all those early posts? ANd such a pretty quilt with a story, it deserved a spotlight.

Claire said...

I'm glad your quilt made it to your blog. I like the way you handled color, making the design with the purple.

Jo said...

It's always good to look back where we started from

Barbara said...

Oh wow! I love it! What fun little cornerstones you used. Great choice for your archives post.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh that's cool - beautiful quilt!

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Love that Tuesday ARchives is getting your "before" blogging quilts shared with us. I think it's so healthy to be reflective on our blogging....but since we are both "hobby" bloggers I couldn't imagine any changes needed. I have decided to add some monthly/holiday comics in my sidebar....but that could be because I've been sittin on my butt for the last four days! LOL!!! Off to sew right now....so I'm totally excited about that!!

Lynne said...

Love it! The limited colour palette just makes it work so beautifully. From someone who makes scrappy quilts most of the time, looking at quilts made from limited fabrics is so restful! I have plans this year to make something (probably a table runner) from just one fabric! Not my usually way of working at all!