Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Tuesday Archives - Fat Quarter Quilts

Val's Quilting Studio


I've been enjoying Val's Tuesday Archives.  It's been fun to look back over the quilt's I've made trying to find one that fits the week's theme.  The process has reminded me of the stark terror that used to accompany a trip to the fabric store to pick out fabric for the next quilt class.  Looking back, I can see that maybe there was good reason to be terrified, my choices weren't always wise.  That's OK, I still love those older quilts.  

Case in point is the first quilt that ever lived on our bed.  The class instructions said to pick 24 fat quarters.  No other guidance, just pick 24 fat quarters.  I'm guessing that you could buy fat quarter bundles at the time, but I didn't know what such things were.  So I came to class with my set of fat quarters and eventually ended up with my first "scrappy" quilt.  This is as close to a "random" design as I've ever gotten.  I had to put all the block parts in different bags and make myself blindly choose the components for each block.  It was a really good learning experience.  


Spring Break
from the book Spring Cleaning published by Atkinson Designs















I love all the fabrics used in this quilt, the border print is still one of my favorites.  My Guy isn't fond of floral prints, so this quilt didn't remain on our bed for more than a couple of years before being replaced with with a T-shirt quilt he particularly liked.  

That's it for me this week.  Hop over to Val's to for more Tuesday Archives.  

5 comments:

Jo said...

It is always funny to look back to where we started our quilting journey.
I'm not sure where my photos are for my early quilts...
It's good to see you are still using the quilt

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Oh the fabric I used with my earlier quilts...my mom and I actually laugh about it now! (As I made it for here) Love your story...but even more your quilt! Thanks for the wonderful shout out for Tuesday ARchives!

Val's Quilting Studio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shay said...

Wow - thats eye poppingly colourful! Your style has changed a lot over the years ...but this is still really pretty.

Lynne said...

That sounds like a fun and free way to make a quilt!