Monday, March 25, 2013

Design Wall Monday - March 25th

Drama Teen heads back to school today and I head back to work, Spring Break is over.  We took a long weekend, did some driving  and hanging out in places we usually don't.  It was a relaxing weekend.   Not a lot of sewing in it, though I did get some hand stitching done on the panel for the Medallion quilt while we were just hanging out.  

The Sofa Quilt went out for quilting on Tuesday, which left me with two projects up on the design wall.  Both need to be done by the end of May.  I picked the easiest one to finish first and made some good progress on both the blocks and getting the sashing done.  

OSU Quilt
Pattern is A Day at the Spa

Designed by Carolyn S. Vagts
found in the February 2013 issue of Quilter's World

Just 7 more blocks to make and the borders before this one will be ready for the back and quilting.  The blocks I can probably finish this week, but not the borders.  Those always take longer to add than I anticipate.  

April kicks off next Monday and I've not yet started my new project for March.  I was going to start on Vienna Stars, then decided I didn't like the pattern all that much.  I'm working on a new design that uses the fabrics I purchased for it, but I'm still fine turning that project.  So I bumped up another project that is on my list, the scrappy butterfly quilt.  The original pattern uses templates, which I usually don't have a lot of luck with, my blocks usually end up wonky.  So I'm going to use the templates to help cut the pieces to the right sizes, but paper piece the block.  


So I studied a few references, watched a couple of tutorials, grabbed a few scraps and started on a test block to work out the kinks.  So far, so good.  I did have to unpick the second seam, I didn't get the third piece aligned properly, so it didn't look right when it was pressed back. Part one of the block is done, just 3 more sections to piece and then it will be time to see if it all works together.  

That's it for my design space this week.  Linking up with Patchwork Times, hop over to her blog to see other design spaces.  

8 comments:

Rhonda said...

I love what's on your design wall. When I first saw the photo I thought the fabrics were solids and floral prints but with a closer look, I thought..."COOL" as the kids say!!

Bonnie said...

Your OSU quilt is really striking. Is it orange as it shows up on my monitor? I've been buying and using oranges a lot in the last few years.

Lynne said...

The orange quilt is coming along famously. I looked at my collection of orange scraps on Sunday; I don't think I have enough to even make one block!

Good idea to let go of a pattern you're not crazy about -- life's too short to sew something we don't like.

Hope the spring/summer term is much better health-wise for DT and yourself!

Shay said...

Stop it! It cant be April next week. I havent finished all the things I want to get done in March yet !

I think of all the quilts Ive seen you do the OSU quilt really is one of my favourites. I really really like it !

Marti said...

I like the OSU quilt more and more. Whoever gets it will be thrilled I'm sure.

I think you are wise to stop and replan when you didn't like the Vienna Stars quilt. I wish I had done that with my Little Glory quilt.

AnnieO said...

So nice to see that many blocks up on the wall, isn't it? Congrats on getting the sofa quilt out the door to be quilted, too :) I'm trying my best NOT to start yet another new project--yours looks intriguing so far. More stars for your design wall!

Barbara said...

Your OSU quilt is going to be gorgeous.

kwiltnkats said...

Kate, don't know if you know this handy trick with foundation piecing. I start the first section with a basting stitch to keep the fabric aligned correctly for the second section. I also use a basting stitch on long sections to keep the alignment. The basting goes in and out so easily it's well worth the effort. Like your start on the Scrappy Butterfly Project. Sandi