Saturday, September 8, 2012

Rainbow Scrap Challenge - Orange Part 1

I'm not sure why it is that the 4 day work week after the three day holiday weekend seemed so long, but it sure seemed to take forever to get to Saturday this week.  Not much going on this weekend thankfully.  However, the house needs some attention this morning, plus the piles of laundry are getting rather alarmingly large, so it looks like that will take priority this morning.  The sewing room will have to sit empty until this afternoon. 

I did take Labor Day to heart last weekend and didn't do much other than sew.  So to an extent it's time to pay the piper.  But I did get a lot of sewing done last weekend, including 2 orange blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge

Block pattern by Janet McCarroll
published in Block Magic Too by
Nancy Johnson-Srebro

Both My Guy and I went to graduate school at OSU (That's Oklahoma State University, not to be confused with Oregon State University which not only has the same initials, but the same school colors).  I have a whole collection of OSU fabrics that will at some future date make it into a quilt, so I just cut off a bit from one fat quarter to make the block. 

Block pattern by Karen F. Srebro
published in Block Magic by
Nancy Johnson-Srebro


It's amazing what you can do with a bit of fussy cutting.  This cup turned out really cute.  Even My Guy likes it.  I'm still working on cup number 3 for the month, so I don't have a picture of the all the blocks to date.  You can see what was up on the design wall at the end of August here

I'm really enjoying the challenge and making the blocks.  It's been fun to see what other scrappy projects are in the works.  Definitely getting some ideas for next year.  I'm going to go link up with Soscrappy and then check out what new scrappiness has been going on this month. 

14 comments:

scraphappy said...

Oh, that flower is fun! Sometimes fussy cutting is just what is needed to make a block special.

Larri said...

I'd like to sip my coffee from a cup as pretty as that floral one! Love how you manage your time and create such wonderful blocks. Happy Saturday! :)

Denise :) said...

Kate, these are just darling! I particularly do like the cup and saucer -- you pegged it with the fussy cutting of the flower! Hopefully the laundry will go quickly ... and maybe you can sneak in some sewing time while both the washer and dryer are doing their thing and you're waiting on them! Of course, if I tried that, I'd end up sewing through their finish times, and forget all about the laundry! LOL! :)

Kate said...

I love how the flower came out! And the OSU - naturally. ;)

Sheila said...

Love your orange cups. This is going to be a cool quilt!

Deb A said...

Ohhhh. I just love watching you add cups each month. That flower one is just awesome. Love it.

Terri said...

Love your cup! I especially like that you fussy cut the flower. Yum!
Hugs

Cyn said...

your cups are fabulous!

Angie said...

Cute, cute orange cups! I did not know OSU's colors included orange. And the fussy-cut cup and saucer came out perfect! I think we're all going to enjoy playing with orange this month!

Edith said...

So pretty, I', really enjoying your coffee cups.

Quilter Kathy said...

These are both great blocks...have I said lately how much I love your scrappy project this year?!?

Lynne said...

Both blocks are great!

Shay said...

They're beautiful Kate. Completely different shades of orange and they look fab!

How close are to being done with all these wonderful cups?

AnnieO said...

Very nice! I do love orange.